Download the complete service offering
1. Description of Service
The inclusion of GIS mapping can make an agency's web site much more useful and engaging to the public and to interested constituencies. GIS web services can provide maps or map-derived information in real time, for any location at any desired scale, without the need to create or update published graphics.
GIS can summarize statistical information with thematic maps in an intuitive and appealing way such as displaying towns shaded by project expenditures or tax revenues per capita. Interactive web mapping applications can also respond to end-user queries that begin with a specific location such as "show me the closest school to my neighborhood."
GIS servers can respond to interactive mapping requests from a variety of web clients. GIS web services can be used to provide:
- Dynamic and interactive maps for a new or existing web site
- Geographic location and data from map queries
- Basic web mapping applications based on existing templates
- Mapping developed in partnership with vendors embedded in more complex applications
MassGIS can prepare and host the customer data to be served. MassGIS can also provide a separate interface for the client to maintain their own geographic and tabular data. If desired, end-users can enter or edit geographic or other data using the browser interface. Since these services are all based on standard APIs, MassGIS can work with agency programming staff or with vendors to embed mapping in more complex web applications.
For additional detailed technical information please see: Wiki MassGIS
Support services include:
- A Service Account Manager to answer any questions or concerns regarding MassIT Services.
- Services offered through our Operations Office; including Change Management and customer access to incident management via email, phone (CommonHelp).
- The online COMiT service management portal .
- MassIT's Chargeback Billing Services.
2. Service Targets and Metrics
For On-line Web Mapping Services via XML Gateway:
|Service Availability||Service availability hours are 24 x 7 excluding planned maintenance and unplanned outages.|
|Incident Management*||MassIT Service Management Office has standard processes to manage incidents, requests, and changes.|
|Request Fulfillment*||Service requests are responded to 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday excluding holidays. Off hour request: Must be opened via CommonHelp.|
*Incidents, requests, or changes that are outside the scope of the defined service description or normal service hours will be direct charged to the customer.
For Development of Web Mapping Services, Web Map Design and Simple Applications:
|Service Availability||MassGIS staff will work with project team to schedule availability.|
|Request Fulfillment*||Service requests are responded to 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday excluding holidays. Off hour requests must be opened via CommonHelp.|
|Web service response time||Response time monitored for web mapping services and load balancing ensures full utilization of the web mapping servers.|
Stress test of geocoding (sustainable hits per minute)
|Web service capacity||Total hits per week monitored for individual base-mapping services and for Geoserver requests (OLIVER).||Count of hits on each service|
|Web services availability||Web service requests and server availability monitored during business hours. Operations monitors availability for all servers off-hours.||System monitoring of CPU, memory, and disk space. Test services requests sent constantly.|
3. Service Reporting
|Service Status||Reports exist for service status monitoring which can be accessed by partner agencies.||Real-time, on-line|
|Data Download||Reports can be generated on FTP download statistics of hosted agency data.||On request|
|Application Usage||Listing of "hits" on applications, number of distinct users, sessions etc.||On request or agreed-upon schedule|
|Data Layer Access||Can report on access to specific data layers via OLIVER.||On request or agreed-upon schedule|
4. Service Requests
|COMiT Service Requests||Description||Lead Time-Business Days|
|General Mapping Inquiries*||This request is for general questions and advice about web mapping.||1-2 Days|
Web Mapping Service Support*
This includes all necessary work to create a new mapping service for a customer application using Open Geospatial Consortium or ESRI ArcServer API. Elements are:
Additional support may be required to process and load customer data for display.
|Web Mapping Application Development Support*||A variety of templates and models exist which can be leveraged to provide web mapping applications that meet customer needs. This service differs from Web Mapping Service Support in that web page design and web application codes are involved.||Lead time depends on specific request and complexity - normally a few weeks|
|Web Mapping Service Support for Vendor-Provided Applications*||Consultation with agencies and selected vendors on the best way to integrate map content into applications being developed.||Lead time depends on project complexity|
*For new service requests only. To manage existing requests, please log into COMiT.
5. Customer Responsibilities
Customer responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide design guidance and decision making in a timely manner.
- If address or other data are used in the mapping, customer will be responsible for data quality and formatting. Batch geocoding and data preparation may involve additional services.
- If customer is doing their own development, then project staff assigned must have appropriate skill levels.
- If coordinating with a vendor is required, customer will ensure that vendor is responsive and ensures the availability of appropriate staff resources. Vendor management and oversight is customer's responsibility. All vendor costs will be the responsibility of the customer.
For your convenience, you may also view a detailed list of customer responsibilities .
6. Chargeback Rate Information
For more information on Chargeback, including an overview of the program as well as current and previous fiscal year rates, please visit our Chargeback Services webpage.
Updated September 03, 2015
Reviewed September 03, 2015
Created September 12, 2010
Information provided by the Office on Geographical Information (MassGIS)