Download the complete service offering
1. Description of Service
MassIT provides reliable, centrally managed Adabas, Oracle and SQL Server database hosting services for Commonwealth of Massachusetts applications.
This service includes:
Database Software Installation and upgrade
- Responsible for installation of the database software and tools.
- Responsible for applying patches and bug fixes and for performing major version upgrades.
Database System Configuration
- Work with the MassIT SAN group and the host system administrator to get the initial database system storage allocated based on database storage best practices.
- Work with the application data owners to determine future storage needs.
- Create the database instance.
- Create the database table spaces.
- Create the database schema owners.
- Grant database system privileges to application owners.
- Manage the database instance configuration settings, including the amount of server memory and how it is allocated.
- Control and monitor the number of concurrent user connections (Oracle license compliance).
- Work with the host system administrators to configure server kernel parameters and O.S. patches.
Database Systems Maintenance
- Administration and maintenance of databases to ensure that each hosted database is reliable, performing and available during the defined target availability hours.
- Apply critical patches as needed.
Database Systems Support & Monitoring
- Ensure databases and logs are sized properly.
- Add and configure new storage as required.
- Escalate system database software problems to vendor for resolution.
- Proactive monitoring of database with MassIT standard monitoring tools.
- Execute the necessary parameter adjustments to the system configuration settings for performance optimization.
- Responsive support to unscheduled service outages in a timely manner.
- Provision of diagnostic information to assist with customer application support needs.
Database Systems Backup & Recovery
- Design and implement a backup strategy to meet the customer defined recovery time objective.
- Automate and monitor the backups.
- Periodic testing of recovery strategy.
This service does not include:
- Coverage for Disaster Recovery.
- SQL performance and tuning.
- Access to database as "SYSDBA" or "SA".
- Data replication.
- Advanced security options such as row level security, encryption and LDAP authentication.
Oracle Universal Licensing Agreements (ULA):
On May 30, 2014, the Commonwealth renewed Universal Licensing Agreements (ULA’s) with Oracle that, continue to significantly reduce the prices paid by Commonwealth entities for Oracle products. Customers hosting new Oracle applications with MassIT and receiving full managed hosting services can benefit from MassIT’s ULA participation.
Support services include:
- A Service Account Manager to answer any questions or concerns regarding MassIT Services.
- Services offered through our Operations Office; including Change Management and customer access to incident management via email, phone (CommonHelp).
- The online COMiT service management portal .
- MassIT's Chargeback Billing System.
2. Service Targets and Metrics
|Planned Maintenance||Database maintenance is performed on an ad-hoc basis to apply security or database patches based on customer requests.|
Staff will respond to service requests during the hours of 7:00 am - 5:00 pm Monday through Friday excluding holidays. Customers can make requests through COMiT.
Emergency requests are approved by authorized customer contacts and must be opened as incidents to ensure they are acted on immediately out of normal business hours.
|Incident Management*||MassIT Service Management Office has standard processes to manage incidents, requests and changes.|
Outages or urgent issues should be reported by phone to receive the quickest response 1-866-888-2808.
|Based on application requirements||Based on application SQL performance.||Application SQL performance|
|Based on application requirements||Tivoli checks the database availability every 10 minutes.||Tivoli alert|
*Incidents, requests, or changes that are outside the scope of the defined service description or normal service hours will be direct charged to the customer.
3. Service Reporting
|Oracle AWR Reports||The AWR/Statspack reports provide a method for evaluating the relative performance of a database.||HTML report or automated text file through The Oracle Team|
|Oracle ADDM Reports||The ADDM is able to holistically analyze the system, identify the major problem in the system (not the symptoms), and recommend corrective action.||HTML report or automated text file through The Oracle Team|
|Oracle Trace Logs||This is a report of trace files generated by user database sessions.||Upon request through The Oracle Team or by direct access.|
|OEM grid Control Monitoring Alerts||Customers receive any monitored alerts by database for warnings or critical failures.||Upon request through The Oracle Team or by direct access.|
Requests related to projects are initiated through the Request Project Services process.
4. Service Requests
Lead Time-Business Days
|Adabas New Database||This request is to create a new Adabas database.||3-5 Days|
|Adabas Modification||This request is for Adabas database maintenance for production and development requests.||3-5 Days|
|Adabas Natural Buffer Pool Refresh||This request is to refresh a Natural Object or Library after a Natural Program has been moved to production via the Natural Migrate System - either N2O or SYSMAIN.|
|Oracle New Database||This request is to create a new Oracle database.||3-5 Days|
|Oracle Database Modification||This request is for Oracle database maintenance for production and development requests.||3-5 Days|
|SQL New Database||This request is to create a new SQL database.||3-5 Days|
|SQL Server Database Modification||This request is for SQL Server database maintenance for production and development requests.||3-5 Days|
*For new service requests only. To manage existing requests, please log into COMiT.
5. Customer Responsibilities
The customer will purchase Oracle licensing through the BAR process and define requirements for the database. The customer will provide first level support for database issues and coordinate activities for moving code from dev/test to production via the Change Management process.
For your convenience, you may also view a detailed list of customer responsibilities.
6. Chargeback Rate Information
For more information on Chargeback, including an overview of the program as well as current and previous fiscal year rates, please visit our Chargeback Services webpage.
* Oracle Enterprise Server (Oracle Enterprise SV530) and SQL Advanced Server (SQL Standard SV520): These environments support users requiring dedicated database server resources and can support multiple databases as determined by the server configuration. For example these environments support high transaction, heavy batch applications with long running queries.
**Oracle Shared Server (Oracle Cluster SV570) and SQL Shared Server (SQL Cluster SV560): These environments support customers within a shared database server. For example these environments support small applications with low I/O requirements and minimal users.
Updated September 04, 2015
Reviewed September 04, 2015
Published August 14, 2009
Created April 14, 2009: Information provided by the Infrastructure Services Team