Download the complete service offering .
1. Description of Service
MassIT provides reliable and secure centrally managed Dedicated Distributed Hardware Hosting Services for Commonwealth agencies. This service does not include the operating system; customers must choose a Windows OS or Linux OS for fully managed distributed hosting services.
Customers pay the initial infrastructure (hardware) costs for MassIT to procure the necessary equipment to host a customer's IT Service on dedicated distributed hardware. These costs are included in the BAR (Business Application Request form) and identified as "one time" costs and agreed to by both the customer and MassIT.
The Dedicated Distributed Hosting Service includes:
- Dedicated Physical Hardware
- Data Center Network Connectivity
- MAGNet Security Protection
- Physical security, cooling, environment and redundant power.
- Set-up of hardware in accordance with MassIT Infrastructure Planning Group standards and best practices and Commonwealth of Massachusetts IT Technology and Security Policies.
- Evaluate and/or recommend hardware enhancements.
- Upgrades of hardware components.
- Administration and maintenance of hardware to ensure that each hosted operating system server is reliable, is performing adequately, and is providing overall service availability.
- Utilization of vendor hardware services for maintaining hardware at recommended patch and release levels following standard change management procedures, firmware and bios.
- Maintain current inventory/asset information and support history for each managed host that can be made available to customers.
- Standard capacity and performance analysis reporting capabilities for customers to review utilization, performance and trending information for CPU, system processes (as defined by customer), memory, and storage.
- Systems engineer's participation as needed in ongoing customer service delivery reviews (coordinated by MassIT Service Account Managers).
Systems Support & Monitoring:
- 24x7 proactive monitoring, identification, and resolution of technical issues for hosted servers.
- Ongoing security intrusion testing and monitoring.
- Responsive support to incidents based on severity levels.
- Responsive support to unscheduled service outages in a timely manner.
- Provision of diagnostic information to assist with customer application support needs.
- Repair or replacement failing hardware components.
- Access to technical Change Control information.
This service does not include coverage for Disaster Recovery. This can be procured separately.
Support services include:
- A Service Account Manager to answer any questions or concerns regarding MassIT Services.
- Services offered through our Operations Office; including Change Management and customer access to incident management via email, phone (CommonHelp).
- The online COMiT service management portal .
- MassIT's Chargeback Billing System.
MassIT Refresh Policy:
When a customer agrees to fully managed hosting services at MassIT, MassIT commits to maintaining infrastructure per defined service level objectives. For purchased (non-leased) equipment MassIT will fund the equivalent replacement of customer-specific hosted hardware that costs $25,000/per item or more, within five years. MassIT does not incorporate into chargeback rates the funding to replace customer-specific hosted infrastructure components that cost less than $25,000/per item. As such customers are responsible to fund replacement of such infrastructure. Additionally maintenance costs that are incurred for supporting end-of-life customer-specific hosted infrastructure or upgrading software that is not covered by subscription may be direct charged to customers.
MassIT Asset and Equipment Policy:
When a customer requests fully managed services at MassIT, a BAR (Business Application Request) listing all one-time equipment and ongoing chargeback support costs must be approved and processed. Equipment to support a customer's request is then procured as an MassIT owned and managed asset.
When a customer no longer requires MassIT services, MassIT decommissions the equipment and chargeback costs are discontinued. If a customer wants to reuse the equipment for a different MassIT supported solution, the equipment remains active and chargeback costs continue. MassIT determines future use of all decommissioned equipment .
2. Service Targets and Metrics
|Infrastructure Component Availability||Hardware is targeted to be available 24x7 excluding planned maintenance and unplanned outages.|
|Planned Maintenance||Requires a weekly 1-2 hour window between 7:00 am - 5:00 pm Monday through Friday excluding holidays. Ad-hoc maintenance is scheduled through change control and customers are notified through part of the change control process.|
Staff will respond to service requests during the hours of 7:00 am - 5:00 pm Monday through Friday excluding holidays. Customers can make requests through COMiT.
Emergency requests are approved by authorized customer contacts and must be opened as incidents to ensure they are acted on immediately out of normal business hours.
|Incident Management*||MassIT Service Management Office has standard processes to manage incidents, requests, or changes.|
Outages or urgent issues should be reported by phone to receive the quickest response 1-866-888-2808.
|Replacement of Failed Components||MassIT contracts with hardware vendors to provide on-site "best effort" four hour response.|
|% of SRs due to poor performance||Percentage of service requests due to poor performance of services provided to end-customers.||N/A|
|Number of Alerts on exceeding system capacity thresholds||Number of alerts/events on exceeding system capacity thresholds.||N/A|
|Number of Incidents caused by Inadequate Capacity||How many incidents have been logged with the Service Desk that was caused by a clearly defined lack of capacity?||N/A|
|Availability (excluding Planned Downtime)|
Percentage of actual uptime (in hours) of equipment relative to the total numbers of planned uptime (in hours).
Planned uptime = service hours – planned downtime
Planned downtime is downtime as scheduled for maintenance.
|% of Outage due to Incidents (Hardware )||Percentage of outage (unavailability) due to incidents in the IT environment hardware, relative to the service hours.|
|% of Outage due to Change (Hardware)||Percentage of outage (unavailability) due to implementation of changes, relative to the service hours.||N/A|
*Incidents, requests, or changes that are outside the scope of the defined service description or normal service hours will be direct charged to the customer.
Note: System availability for a customer solution is dependent on the architecture design.
3. Service Reporting
The following reporting information is provided to customers as part of this service:
|System Resource Utilization|
By server, a detailed report of:
|On request through CommonHelp|
4. Service Requests
|COMiT Service Requests*|
|Lead Time-Business Days|
|Hardware Change||Request to add memory, upgrade NIC, add network or local storage.|
5. Customer Responsibilities
The customer will use hardware capacity planning and management tools, recommend corrective action when needed, develop growth forecasts and develop hardware capacity plans based on ensuring service level attainment.
For your convenience, you may view a detailed list of customer responsibilities .
6. Chargeback Rate Information
For more information on Chargeback, including an overview of the program as well as current and previous fiscal year rates, please visit our Chargeback Services webpage
Updated September 04, 2015
Reviewed September 04, 2015
Published September 1, 2011
Created August 26, 2011: Information provided by the Hosting Services Team