Download complete service offering
1. Description of Service
The Information Technology Division (ITD) provides reliable and secure centrally managed Dedicated Distributed Hardware Hosting Services for Commonwealth IT Services. This service does not include the operating system; customers must choose a Windows OS or Linux OS for fully managed distributed hosting services.
Customers pay the initial infrastructure (hardware) costs for ITD to procure the necessary equipment to host a customer's IT Service on dedicated distributed hardware. These costs are included in the BAR (Business Application Request form) and identified as "one time" costs and agreed to by both the customer and ITD.
The Dedicated Distributed Hosting Service includes:
- Dedicated Physical Hardware
- Data Center Network Connectivity
- MAGNet Security Protection
- Physical security, cooling, environment and redundant power
- Set-up of hardware in accordance with ITD Infrastructure Planning Group standards and best practices and Commonwealth of Massachusetts IT Technology and Security Policies
- Evaluate and/or recommend hardware enhancements
- Upgrades of hardware components
- Administration and maintenance of hardware to ensure that each hosted operating system server is reliable, is performing adequately, and is providing overall service availability
- Utilization of vendor hardware services for maintaining hardware at recommended patch and release levels following standard change management procedures, firmware and bios.
- Maintain current inventory/asset information and support history for each managed host that can be made available to customers
- Standard capacity and performance analysis reporting capabilities for customers to review utilization, performance and trending information for CPU, system processes (as defined by customer), memory, and storage
- Systems engineer's participation as needed in ongoing customer service delivery reviews (coordinated by ITD Service Account Managers).
Systems Support & Monitoring:
- 24 x 7 proactive monitoring, identification, and resolution of technical issues for hosted servers
- Ongoing security intrusion testing and monitoring
- Responsive support to incidents based on severity levels
- Responsive support to unscheduled service outages in a timely manner
- Provision of diagnostic information to assist with customer application support needs
- Repair or replacement failing hardware components
- Access to technical Change Control information
This service does not include coverage for Disaster Recovery. This can be procured separately.
Support services include:
- A Service Account Manager to answer any questions or concerns regarding ITD Services.
- Services offered through our Operations Office; including Change Management and customer access to incident management via email, phone (CommonHelp)
- The online COMiT service management portal
ITD Refresh Policy:
When a customer agrees to fully managed hosting services at ITD, ITD commits to maintaining infrastructure per defined service level objectives. For purchased (non-leased) equipment ITD will fund the equivalent replacement of customer-specific hosted hardware that costs $25,000/per item or more, within five years. ITD does not incorporate into chargeback rates the funding to replace customer-specific hosted infrastructure components that cost less than $25,000/per item. As such customers are responsible to fund replacement of such infrastructure. Additionally maintenance costs that are incurred for supporting end-of-life customer-specific hosted infrastructure or upgrading software that is not covered by subscription may be direct charged to customers.
ITD Asset and Equipment Policy:
When a customer requests fully managed services at ITD, a BAR (Business Application Request) listing all one-time equipment and ongoing chargeback support costs must be approved and processed. Equipment to support a customer's request is then procured as an ITD owned and managed asset.
When a customer no longer requires ITD services, ITD decommissions the equipment and chargeback costs are discontinued. If a customer wants to reuse the equipment for a different ITD supported solution, the equipment remains active and chargeback costs continue. ITD determines future use of all decommissioned equipment .
2. Service Targets/Hours of Availability
Infrastructure Component Availability
Hardware is targeted to be available 24x7 excluding planned maintenance and unplanned outages.
Requires a weekly 1-2 hour window between 7:00 am - 5:00 pm Monday through Friday excluding holidays. Ad-hoc maintenance is scheduled through change control and customers are notified through part of the change control process.
Staff will respond to service requests during the hours of 7:00 am - 5:00 pm Monday through Friday excluding holidays. Customers can make requests through COMiT.
Emergency requests are approved by authorized customer contacts and must be opened as incidents to ensure they are acted on immediately out of normal business hours.
ITD Service Management Office has standard processes to manage incidents, requests, or changes.
Replacement of Failed Components
ITD contracts with hardware vendors to provide on-site "best effort" four hour response.
*Incidents, requests, or changes that are outside the scope of the defined service description or normal service hours will be direct charged to the customer.
Note: System availability for a customer solution is dependent on the architecture design.
3. Service Reporting
The following reporting information is provided to customers as part of this service:
System Resource Utilization
By server, a detailed report of:
On request through CommonHelp
4. Service Requests
Lead Time-Business Days
Request to add memory, upgrade NIC, add network or local storage.
5. Customer Responsibilities
The customer will use hardware capacity planning and management tools, recommend corrective action when needed, develop growth forecasts and develop hardware capacity plans based on ensuring service level attainment.
For your convenience, you may view a detailed list of customer responsibilities .
6. Chargeback Rate Information
For more information on Chargeback, including an overview of the program as well as current and previous fiscal year rates, please visit our Chargeback Services webpage
Cost Framework: Dedicated Platforms
Customer Specific - Costs Directly Charged to Customers
|1||3-yr License & Support Fees for CA WLA DB Agent (In FY09, direct charge to EHS)-|
|CentraSite to support VG security tools (Future outyears direct charge to EHS)-|
|Citrix Service support (500 Users) Org ID 45062279 (In FY12, includes BI000516) (Eff. FY13, moved|
from Unit 2214)-
|HS21 BladeCenter for newMMIS failover/performance environment|
|Software AG ApplinX software for GiC's ApplinX Project|
|Sybase EDI Server for EHS (Beginning in FY11, to be billed directly to EHS. ITD no longer involved.)|
FY11, decision made to direct charge EHS-
Total Customer Specific Costs
Hardware/Software/Contracts (UU, LL, etc)
|2b||Advizex Technologies-2 HP RP 4440 Servers for EDM to Legato Migration Project (Serial|
#USE4621M6k and USE4621M6I) SAID #103414565935. (Beginning in FY11, Software Support
Coverage only - no hardware support)-
|Advizex Technologies-HP Laptop Support|
|Advizex Technologies-HP/IBM Hardware Support (Eff FY13, replaces BI902F, BI902M, BI902N,|
|Dell Software-Crystal Reports for DMR HCSIS Project|
|GovConnection-IBM X3650 Server for ARRA Project-|
|IBM-(1) x3650 for EHS Consolidation Safari 09|
|IBM-(3) X6850 M2 Servers for Oracle HA Environment|
|IBM-BladeCenter HS22 for Beacon 3 Project|
|IBM-HS21 Blades for EHS AIMS Capacity Expansion|
|IBM-IBM 3850 for Data Warehouse Expansion|
|IBM-X3650 Servers for Data Center Consolidation - EHS Pilot|
|IBM-X3650 Servers for IB155 48 hr. recovery project|
|TenCorp / GreenPages-IBM x3850 & x3860 Servers for DCF Replatform Project|
|Other Costs, Re-classifications, Adjustments-Platform Support - Dedicated|
Total Hardware/Software/Contracts (UU, LL, etc) Costs
Shared ITD Data Center Services
Windows OS Support
Data Center Network Connection Port Charge
Secure Port Connection
Total Indirect Shared Costs
Allocated Costs Not Specific to Service
|5||Allocated Costs Not Specific to Service|
|Total Allocated Costs Not Specific to Service|
Less: Customer Specific -Costs Directly Charged to Customers
|6b||Less: Customer Specific -Costs Directly Charged to Customers|
Total Expenses for Dedicated Platforms
Rates pertaining to this service offering include:
Planned FY2013 Units
FY 2013 Rate
|SV110||Dedicated x86 Platform Support||Each Server/Blade|
Download the cost framework for Dedicated Platform Support
Download a complete listing of all chargeback rates
Updated December 13, 2011
Published September 1, 2011
Created August 26, 2011: Information provided by the Hosting Services Team