Download complete service offering
1. Description of Service
The Information Technology Division (ITD) provides reliable and secure centrally managed UNIX Dedicated Distributed Hosting Services for Commonwealth IT Services. This service offers fully managed services for the system administration of UNIX (AIX/HPUX) operating system platforms and the associated hardware platforms on which they are installed.
Customers pay the initial (hardware and software) infrastructure costs for ITD to procure the necessary equipment to host a customer's IT solution. These costs are included in the BAR (Business Application Request form) and identified as "one time" costs and agreed to by both the customer and ITD.
The Unix Dedicated Distributed Hosting Service includes:
- Physical security, cooling, environment and redundant power
- Set-up of hardware and software in accordance with ITD Infrastructure Planning Group standards and best practices and Commonwealth of Massachusetts IT Technology and Security Policies
- Evaluate and/or recommend hardware and software enhancements
- Upgrades of Service Components
- Administration and maintenance of servers to ensure that each hosted operating system server is reliable, is performing adequately, and is providing overall service availability
- Utilization of vendor operating system subscription services for maintaining servers at recommended patch and release levels following standard change management procedures
- Maintain current inventory/asset information and support history for each managed host that can be made available to customers
- Standard capacity and performance analysis reporting capabilities for customers to review utilization, performance and trending information for CPU, system processes (as defined by customer), memory, and storage
- Systems engineer's participation as needed in ongoing customer service delivery reviews (coordinated by ITD Service Account Managers).
Systems Support & Monitoring
- 24 x 7 proactive monitoring, identification, and resolution of technical issues for hosted servers
- Ongoing security intrusion testing and monitoring
- Responsive support to incidents based on severity levels
- Responsive support to unscheduled service outages in a timely manner
- Provision of diagnostic information to assist with customer application support needs
- In case of systems failure or systems data loss or corruption onsite recovery of prior end-of-day system level configuration and locally stored data
- Repair or replacement failing hardware components
- Access to technical Change Control information
Routine Software Audit Services
- Software vendors who conduct business with the Commonwealth of Massachusetts contractually reserve the right to conduct periodic software audits on ITD managed hosts. ITD will collaborate with our customers and their vendors to complete audits for which the customer does not have the appropriate access to conduct the audit independently. These audits are executed to confirm compliance based on terms of software license agreements ITD and/or its customers have with these software vendors.
This service does not include coverage for Disaster Recovery. This can be procured separately.
Support services include:
- A Service Account Manager to answer any questions or concerns regarding ITD Services.
- Services offered through our Operations Office; including Change Management and customer access to incident management via email, phone (CommonHelp)
- The online COMiT service management portal
ITD Refresh Policy:
When a customer agrees to fully managed hosting services at ITD, ITD commits to maintaining infrastructure per defined service level objectives. For purchased (non-leased) equipment ITD will fund the equivalent replacement of customer-specific hosted hardware that costs $25,000/per item or more, within five years. ITD does not incorporate into chargeback rates the funding to replace customer-specific hosted infrastructure components that cost less than $25,000/per item. As such customers are responsible to fund replacement of such infrastructure. Additionally maintenance costs that are incurred for supporting end-of-life customer-specific hosted infrastructure or upgrading software that is not covered by subscription may be direct charged to customers.
ITD Asset and Equipment Policy:
When a customer requests fully managed services at ITD, a BAR (Business Application Request) listing all one-time equipment and ongoing chargeback support costs must be approved and processed. Equipment to support a customer's request is then procured as an ITD owned and managed asset.
When a customer no longer requires ITD services, ITD decommissions the equipment and chargeback costs are discontinued. If a customer wants to reuse the equipment for a different ITD supported solution, the equipment remains active and chargeback costs continue. ITD determines future use of all decommissioned equipment .
2. Service Targets/Hours of Availability
|Infrastructure Component Availability||Each server is targeted to be available 24x7 excluding planned maintenance and unplanned outages.|
|Planned Maintenance||Requires a weekly 1-2 hour window between 7:00 am - 5:00 pm Monday through Friday excluding holidays. Ad-hoc maintenance is scheduled through change control and customers are notified through part of the change control process.|
Staff will respond to service requests during the hours of 7:00 am - 5:00 pm Monday through Friday excluding holidays. Customers can make requests through COMiT.
Emergency requests are approved by authorized customer contacts and must be opened as incidents to ensure they are acted on immediately out of normal business hours.
|Incident Management*||ITD Service Management Office has standard processes to manage incidents, requests, or changes.|
Outages or urgent issues should be reported by phone to receive the quickest response 1-866-888-2808.
|Replacement of Failed Components||ITD contracts with hardware vendors to provide on-site "best effort" four hour response.|
*Incidents, requests, or changes that are outside the scope of the defined service description or normal service hours will be direct charged to the customer.
Note: System availability for a customer solution is dependent on the architecture design.
3. Service Reporting
The following reporting information is provided to customers as part of this service:
|Job Success/Failure Reports||A summary of successful and unsuccessful batch jobs, by server.|
On request through CommonHelp
|System Resource Utilization|
By server, a detailed report of:
|On request through CommonHelp|
|Operating System Log File Report||A report by server of operating system log information.||On request through the UNIX Team|
|System Refresh/Recycle/ Restart Report||A report identifying the number of system refreshes/ recycles/restarts by server.||On request through CommonHelp|
4. Service Requests
Lead Time-Business Days
Reboot UNIX Server
|This request is to take down and restart server.||1-2 hours|
UNIX User ID/Password
|Request to add, change or delete user ID, group or access rights.|
UNIX Hardware Change
|Request new hardware or configuration changes to existing hardware.|
UNIX Software Change
|Request new software or changes to existing OS software or software components.|
5. Customer Responsibilities
The customer will identify and apply customer application patches and configuration modifications, develop standards for and coordination of the move of code into production through the Change Management process, define job schedules and resolve conflicts in the job cycle. In addition, the customer will use capacity planning and management tools, recommend corrective action when needed, develop growth forecasts and develop capacity plans based on ensuring service level attainment.
For your convenience, you may view a detailed list of customer responsibilities .
6. Chargeback Rate Information
For more information on Chargeback, including an overview of the program as well as current and previous fiscal year rates, please visit our Chargeback Services webpage.
Cost Framework: Unix Dedicated Distributed Hosting
Customer Specific - Costs Directly Charged to Customers
|1||HP Superdome||Customer Specific - Costs Directly Charged to Customers|
|HP 3440||Customer Specific - Costs Directly Charged to Customers||$24,000|
|Total Customer Specific Costs|
Salaries (AA) and Fringe (DD) Costs, Contract Support (HH/U05)
|2a||HP 3440||Salaries (AA) and Fringe (DD) Costs, Contract Support (HH/U05)|
|P570||Salaries (AA) and Fringe (DD) Costs, Contract Support (HH/U05)||$163,703||2 FTEs|
|HP Superdome||Salaries (AA) and Fringe (DD) Costs, Contract Support (HH/U05)||$143,229||1.50 FTEs|
|Total Salaries (AA) and Fringe (DD) Costs, Contract Support (HH/U05)||$344,073|
Hardware/Software/Contracts (UU, LL, etc)
|2b||HP 3440||Other Costs, Re-classifications, Adjustments|
|Total HP 3440|
|2b||P570||IBM-IBM Server and Software per Schedule #AR5YKT|
|P570||IBM-Power VM Enterprise Edition Upgrade (includes 3-yrs. Software support)|
|P570||Other Costs, Re-classifications, Adjustments|
|2b||HP Superdome||Advizex Technologies-HP SuperDome Server Solution for HHS MMIS Development Environment plus|
newer SuperDomes w/mission critical core support in FY10 - also includes (2) RX4440 and (1) RX3440
(Prior to FY12, covered under Unit 3103) (Eff FY13, includes
|HP Superdome||Depreciation - Unix HP - SUPERDOME|
|HP Superdome||Other Costs, Re-classifications, Adjustments|
|Total HP Superdome|
Total Hardware/Software/Contracts (UU, LL, etc) Costs
Allocated Shared Resources
|3a||HP 3440||Allocated Shared Resources|
|P570||Allocated Shared Resources|
|Total Allocated Shared Resources Costs|
Allocated Costs Not Specific to Service
|5||HP 3440||Allocated Costs Not Specific to Service|
|P570||Allocated Costs Not Specific to Service|
|HP Superdome||Allocated Costs Not Specific to Service||$441,414|
|Total Fixed Costs Not Specific to Service||$1,014,085|
|6||Management Adjustments-HP 3440|
|Management Adjustments-HP Superdome||$100,000|
Less: Customer Specific - Costs Directly Charged to Customer
|6||Less: Customer Specific - Costs Directly Charged to Customer - HP 3440|
|Less: Customer Specific - Costs Directly Charged to Customer-HP Superdome||($6,607)|
|Total Less: Customer Specific - Costs Directly Charged to Customer|
Total Expenses for Unix Dedicated Distributed Hosting
Rates pertaining to this service offering include:
Planned FY2013 Units
FY 2013 Rate
|SV440||Shared IBM P Series Support||CPU/Month|
|SV490||Dedicated HP/Unix Support||CPU/Month|
|SV480||Dedicated HP Superdome Unix Support||CPU/Month|
Updated December 11, 2012
Published November 29, 2010
Created November 2, 2010: Information provided by the Service Account Management Director and Hosting Services Business Team Lead