Download the complete service offering
1. Description of Product Offering
MassIT provides reliable, secure, and centrally managed Virtualized Shared VM Hosting Services for Commonwealth IT Services. This service does not include the operating system; customers must choose a Windows OS or Linux OS for fully managed virtual hosting services. This service offers fully managed services for the system administration of virtual hardware platforms for Windows and Linux operating systems.
Customers pay the initial (hardware) infrastructure costs for MassIT to procure the necessary equipment to host a customer's IT solution. These costs are included in the BAR (Business Application Request form) and identified as "one time" costs and agreed to by both the customer and MassIT.
The Virtualized Shared VM Hosting Service provides an easy and relatively low cost solution for hosting applications using VMware on virtual infrastructure and includes fully managed services for the system administration of VMware.
This Product Offering includes the following:
- One virtual CPU with 4GB of memory (defined as a "slice").
- VMware monitoring, system administration and support.
- Operating system monitoring, system administration and support.
- Data Center Network Connectivity.
- MAGNet Security Protection.
- VMware Infrastructure Administration.
- Facilities cost (power, cooling, rack space).
In comparison, to Dedicated Hardware Platform costs, the VMware rate should be compared to the combination of the cost for a physical server and network connectivity and security protection. Each VMware server has the ability to host multiple guest operating systems.
There is a one-time set up fee per slice (SL1V0) for customer shared VMware solutions; this fee will recover the costs for a customer's portion of the existing VMware infrastructure. This cost is similar to the "one time" costs customers now pay to procure hardware and software for customer dedicated distributed hosting. This cost is included in the BAR (Business Application Request form) and identified as "set up" fees and agreed to by both the customer and ITD.
Virtualized Hosting Product Availability
Currently MassIT has standardized on VMware vSphere ESX to support MassIT's virtualization infrastructure and VMware managed service. Leveraging this technology enables MassIT to take advantage of several high availability and automated failover capabilities that are intrinsic to the current x86 server virtualization standards.
- Server Performance Target:
Automated orchestration guarantees that as server CPU and Memory utilization increases, transparent non-service impacting transition to appropriate VMware vSphere ESX servers may take place to ensure maximum performance. This will align and comply with application requirements as defined during initial server provisioning.
- Server Failover:
In the event that a physical server fails, (also commonly referred to as an ESX host hardware failure), the automated high availability feature is invoked. All servers are repositioned to other ESX hosts within the virtualization cluster. All workloads are supported without impacting performance, and the alignment and compliance of application requirements are maintained as when the server was initially provisioned.
This Product Offering also includes:
- Physical security, cooling, environment and redundant power.
- Set-up of hardware and software in accordance with MassIT Infrastructure Planning Group standards and best practices and Commonwealth of Massachusetts IT Technology and Security Policies
- Evaluate and/or recommend hardware and software enhancements
- Upgrades of Service Components
- Administration and maintenance of hardware to ensure that each hosted operating system server is reliable, is performing adequately, and is providing overall service availability.
- Utilization of vendor hardware for maintaining hardware at recommended patch and release levels following standard change management procedures.
- Maintain current inventory/asset information and support history for each managed host that can be made available to customers.
- Standard capacity and performance analysis reporting capabilities for customers to review utilization, performance and trending information for CPU, system processes (as defined by customer), memory, and storage.
- Systems engineer's participation as needed in ongoing customer service delivery reviews (coordinated by MassIT Service Account Managers).
Systems Support & Monitoring
- 24 x 7 proactive monitoring, identification, and resolution of technical issues for hosted servers.
- Ongoing security intrusion testing and monitoring.
- Responsive support to incidents based on severity levels.
- Responsive support to unscheduled service outages in a timely manner.
- Provision of diagnostic information to assist with customer application support needs.
- Repair or replacement failing hardware components.
- Access to technical Change Control information.
MassIT Refresh Policy:
This service is a shared infrastructure and therefore MassIT is responsible for all hardware upgrades/refreshes. Additionally, maintenance costs that are incurred for supporting end of life customer specific hosted infrastructure or upgrading software that is not covered by subscription may be direct charged to customers.
This service does not include coverage for Disaster Recovery. This can be procured separately.
MassIT Asset and Equipment Policy:
When a customer requests fully managed services at MassIT, a BAR (Business Application Request) listing all one-time equipment and ongoing chargeback support costs must be approved and processed. Equipment to support a customer's request is then procured as an MassIT owned and managed asset.
When a customer no longer requires MassIT services, MassIT decommissions the equipment and chargeback costs are discontinued. If a customer wants to reuse the equipment for a different MassIT supported solution, the equipment remains active and chargeback costs continue. MassIT determines future use of all decommissioned equipment.
Support Services includes:
- A Service Account Manager to answer any questions or concerns regarding MassIT Services.
- Services offered through our Operations Office; including Change Management and customer access to incident management via email, phone (CommonHelp).
- The online COMiT service management portal .
- MassIT's Chargeback Billing System.
2. Service Targets and Metrics
|Infrastructure Component Availability||Each server is targeted to be available 24x7 excluding planned maintenance and unplanned outages.|
|Planned Maintenance||Requires a weekly 1-2 hour window between 7:00 am - 5:00 pm Monday through Friday excluding holidays. Ad-hoc maintenance is scheduled through change control and customers are notified through part of the change control process.|
Staff will respond to service requests during the hours of 7:00 am - 5:00 pm Monday through Friday excluding holidays. Customers can make requests through COMiT.
Emergency requests are approved by authorized customer contacts and must be opened as incidents to ensure they are acted on immediately out of normal business hours.
|Incident Management*||MassIT Service Management Office has standard processes to manage incidents, requests, or changes.|
Outages or urgent issues should be reported by phone to receive the quickest response 1-866-888-2808.
|Replacement of Failed Components||MassIT contracts with hardware vendors to provide on-site "best effort" four hour response.|
|% of SRs due to poor performance||Percentage of service requests due to poor performance of services provided to end-customers.|
|Number of Alerts on exceeding system capacity thresholds||Number of alerts/events on exceeding system capacity thresholds.|
|Number of Incidents caused by Inadequate Capacity||How many incidents have been logged with the Service Desk that was caused by a clearly defined lack of capacity?|
|Availability (excluding Planned Downtime)|
Percentage of actual uptime (in hours) of equipment relative to the total numbers of planned uptime (in hours).
Planned uptime = service hours – planned downtime
Planned downtime is downtime as scheduled for maintenance.
|% of Outage due to Incidents (Hardware )||Percentage of outage (unavailability) due to incidents in the IT environment hardware, relative to the service hours.|
|% of Outage due to Change (Hardware)||Percentage of outage (unavailability) due to implementation of changes, relative to the service hours.|
*Incidents, requests, or changes that are outside the scope of the defined service description or normal service hours will be direct charged to the customer.
Note: System availability for a customer solution is dependent on the architecture design.
3. Service Reporting
The following reporting information is provided to customers as part of this service:
|System Resource Utilization|
A detailed report, by guest:
|On request through CommonHelp|
4. Service Requests
Lead Time-Business Days
|New VMware service||This request is for new virtualized hosting services||1-15 Days|
This request is to make a change to an existing virtualized host/slice
5. Customer Responsibilities
The customer will use hardware capacity planning and management tools, recommend corrective action when needed, develop growth forecasts and develop capacity plans based on ensuring service level attainment.
For your convenience, you may view a detailed list of customer responsibilities .
6. Chargeback Rate Information
For more information on Chargeback, including an overview of the program as well as current and previous fiscal year rates, please visit our Chargeback Services webpage.
Cost framework: VMware
1.Direct Charges to Customers
|Total 1A. Customer Specific - Costs Directly Charged to Customers||$0|
|Total 1. Direct Charges to Customers||$0|
2. Direct Dedicated Resources
|Direct Costs - Salaries (AA) and Fringe (DD), Contract (U05, HH)||8.00||$734,957|
|Total 2A. Direct Costs - Salaries (AA) and Fringe (DD), Contract (U05, HH)||8.00||$734,957|
|- Other Costs, Reclassifications, Adjustments-||$60,285|
|- SHI-PlateSpin Recon Enterprise-||$3,145|
|- SHI-VMWare (SKU# vmware-Commonwealth MA) (Prior to FY11, purchased through Dell Software)-||$48,126|
|Total 2B. Hardware / Software / Contracts (UU, LL , etc)||$241,976|
|Total 2. Direct Dedicated Resources||$976,933|
3. Indirect Costs
|Total 3A. Allocated Shared Resources||$0|
|Total 3. Indirect Costs||$0|
4. Indirect Costs
|Security - Magnet Port Security -||SU060||$154||1056||$162,624|
|Unified Communications - Data Center Network Connecton Port Charge-||SJ1S0||$351||1056||$370,656|
|Total 4A. Shared ITD Data Center Services||$533,280|
|Total 4. Indirect Costs||$533,280|
5. Allocated Costs
|Allocated Costs Not Specific to Service||$625,623|
|Total 5A. Allocated Costs Not Specific to Service||$625,623|
|Total 5. Allocated Costs||$625,623|
6. Management Adjustments
|Total 6A. Management Adjustments||$0|
|Total 6. Management Adjustments||$0|
|GrandTotal: Hosting Products - VMWare||$2,135,837|
7. Rates Pertaining to this Service
|SERVICE OFFERING / TITLE / BILLABLE UNIT||RATECODE||RATE||PLANNED UNITS||COST|
|Hosting - Shared VMWare Platform Support*-Each Slice / Month||SV350||$78||27437.55||$2,135,837|
|Total 7A. Rates Pertaining to this Service||$2,135,837|
Download a complete listing of all chargeback rates
Updated March 09, 2015
Reviewed August 12, 2014
Published August 14, 2009
Created March 23, 2009: Information provided by the Hosting Services Team