Download the complete service offering
1. Description of Product Offering
The Information Technology Division (ITD) provides reliable and secure centrally managed Windows Operating System (OS) Services for Distributed Hosting for Commonwealth IT Services. This service offers fully managed services for the system administration of Windows Operating Systems. This service does not include the hardware platform; customers must choose a virtual platform or a dedicated physical platform for fully managed distributed hosting services.
Customers pay the initial software costs for ITD to procure the necessary operating system and other related software. Costs are included in the BAR (Business Application Request form) and identified as "one time" cost and agreed to by both the customer and ITD.
The Windows OS Distributed Hosting Product Offering includes:
- Physical security, cooling, environment and redundant power.
- Set-up of hardware and software in accordance with ITD Infrastructure Planning Group standards and best practices and Commonwealth of Massachusetts IT Technology and Security Policies.
- Evaluate and/or recommend hardware and software enhancements.
- Utilization of vendor operating system subscription services for maintaining servers at recommended patch and release levels following standard change management procedures.
- Maintain current inventory/asset information and support history for each managed host that can be made available to customers.
- Systems engineer's participation as needed in ongoing customer service delivery reviews (coordinated by ITD Service Account Managers).
Systems Support & Monitoring
- 24 x 7 proactive monitoring, identification, and resolution of technical issues for hosted operating systems.
- Ongoing security intrusion testing and monitoring.
- Responsive support to incidents based on severity levels.
- Responsive support to unscheduled service outages in a timely manner.
- Provision of diagnostic information to assist with customer application support needs.
- In case of systems failure or systems data loss or corruption onsite recovery of prior end-of-day system level configuration and locally stored data.
- Access to technical Change Control information.
Routine Software Audit Services
- Software vendors who conduct business with the Commonwealth of Massachusetts contractually reserve the right to conduct periodic software audits on ITD managed hosts. ITD will collaborate with our customers and their vendors to complete audits for which the customer does not have the appropriate access to conduct the audit independently. These audits are executed to confirm compliance based on terms of software license agreements ITD and/or its customers have with these software vendors.
This product offering does not include coverage for Disaster Recovery. This can be procured separately.
ITD Refresh Policy:
When a customer agrees to fully managed hosting services at ITD, ITD commits to maintaining infrastructure per defined service level objectives. For purchased (non-leased) equipment ITD will fund the equivalent replacement of customer-specific hosted hardware that costs $25,000/per item or more, within five years. ITD does not incorporate into chargeback rates the funding to replace customer-specific hosted infrastructure components that cost less than $25,000/per item. As such customers are responsible to fund replacement of such infrastructure. Additionally maintenance costs that are incurred for supporting end-of-life customer-specific hosted infrastructure or upgrading software that is not covered by subscription may be direct charged to customers.
ITD Asset and Equipment Policy:
When a customer requests fully managed services at ITD, a BAR (Business Application Request) listing all one-time equipment and ongoing chargeback support costs must be approved and processed. Equipment to support a customer's request is then procured as an ITD owned and managed asset.
When a customer no longer requires ITD services, ITD decommissions the equipment and chargeback costs are discontinued. If a customer wants to reuse the equipment for a different ITD supported solution, the equipment remains active and chargeback costs continue. ITD determines future use of all decommissioned equipment.
Support services include:
- A Service Account Manager to answer any questions or concerns regarding ITD Services.
- Services offered through our Operations Office; including Change Management and customer access to incident management via email, phone (CommonHelp)
- The online COMiT service management portal
- ITD's Chargeback Billing System.
2. Service Targets/Hours of Availability
|Infrastructure Component Availability||Each server is targeted to be available 24x7 excluding planned maintenance and unplanned outages.|
|Requires a weekly 1-2 hour window between 7:00 am - 5:00 pm Monday through Friday excluding holidays. Ad-hoc maintenance is scheduled through change control and customers are notified through part of the change control process.|
Staff will respond to service requests during the hours of 7:00 am - 5:00 pm Monday through Friday excluding holidays. Customers can make requests through COMiT.
Emergency requests are approved by authorized customer contacts and must be opened as incidents to ensure they are acted on immediately out of normal business hours.
|Incident Management*||ITD Service Management Office has standard processes to manage incidents, requests, or changes.|
Outages or urgent issues should be reported by phone to receive the quickest response 1-866-888-2808.
|Software Failure||ITD contracts with vendors to respond to software and resolve issues with a "Best Effort" response.|
|Microsoft Patch Deployment|
ITD requires all fully managed hosted systems be patched to current patching levels as stipulated by Microsoft. ITD maintains as central Microsoft Software Update Server (WSUS) that receive's all patch updates from Microsoft. Normal patches are distributed by Microsoft the second Tuesday of the month (Patch Tuesday). Emergency security patches can be deployed by Microsoft at anytime, and these patches can be distributed as out of cycle patches per the request of ITD's Security team.
All systems require an operating system patch time that can be:
The server is then patched automatically using the central ITD WSUS. ITD auto approves all security patches for distribution which are classified by Microsoft as critical. If no specific time frame is specified by the customer, all systems are patched on Sunday at 2:00am. ITD encourages customers to test patches on "test" or "development" systems before production systems are patched. Customers should be aware that many Microsoft patches require system reboots.
*Incidents, requests, or changes that are outside the scope of the defined service description or normal service hours will be direct charged to the customer.
Note: System availability for a customer solution is dependent on the architecture design.
3. Service Reporting
The following reporting information is provided to customers as part of this service:
|Job Success/Failure Reports||A summary of successful and unsuccessful batch jobs, by server.|
On request through CommonHelp
|System Resource Utilization|
By server, a detailed report of:
|On request through CommonHelp|
|Operating System Log File Report||A report by server of operating system log information.||On request through the Intel Team|
|System Restart Report||A report identifying the number of system refreshes/ recycles/restarts by server.||On request through CommonHelp|
4. Service Requests
Lead Time-Business Days
Reboot Windows Server
|This request is to reboot server.||1-2 hours|
Windows User ID/Password
|Request to add, change or delete user ID, group or access rights.|
Windows Software Change
|Request new software or changes to existing OS software or software components.|
5. Customer Responsibilities
The customer will identify and apply customer application patches and configuration modifications, develop standards for and coordination of the move of code into production through the Change Management process, define job schedules and resolve conflicts in the job cycle. In addition, the customer will use capacity planning and management tools, recommend corrective action when needed, develop growth forecasts and develop capacity plans based on ensuring service level attainment.
For your convenience, you may view a detailed list of customer responsibilities .
6. Chargeback Rate Information
For more information on Chargeback, including an overview of the program as well as current and previous fiscal year rates, please visit our Chargeback Services webpage.
Cost framework: OS Support - Windows
1.Direct Charges to Customers
|Customer Specific - Costs Directly Charged to Customers||$193,718|
|Total 1A. Customer Specific - Costs Directly Charged to Customers||$193,718|
|Total 1. Direct Charges to Customers||$193,718|
2. Direct Dedicated Resources
|Direct Costs - Salaries (AA) and Fringe (DD), Contract (U05, HH)||7.00||$574,623|
|Total 2A. Direct Costs - Salaries (AA) and Fringe (DD), Contract (U05, HH)||7.00||$574,623|
|- Dell Software-Microsoft Premier Support #U8206633 (new 1-yr. agreement with 2 optional years).-||$79,746|
|-Other costs, Reclassifications, Adjustments-||$19,103|
|-Other costs, Reclassifications, Adjustments-||-$193,718|
|Total 2B. Hardware / Software / Contracts (UU, LL , etc)||-$94,869|
|Total 2. Direct Dedicated Resources||$479,754|
3. Indirect Costs
|Total 3A. Allocated Shared Resources||$0|
|Total 3. Indirect Costs||$0|
4. Indirect Costs
|Total 4A. Shared ITD Data Center Services||$0|
|Total 4. Indirect Costs||$0|
5. Allocated Costs
|Allocated Costs Not Specific to Service||$452,319|
|Total 5A. Allocated Costs Not Specific to Service||$452,319|
|Total 5. Allocated Costs||$452,319|
6. Management Adjustments
|Total 6A. Management Adjustments||$0|
|Total 6. Management Adjustments||$0|
Grand Total: Hosting Products - OS Support - Windows
7. Rates Pertaining to this Service
|SERVICE OFFERING / TITLE / BILLABLE UNIT||RATECODE||RATE||PLANNED UNITS||COST|
|Hosting - Windows OS Support-Each OS / Month||SV210||$140||8040||$1,125,791|
|Total 7A. Rates Pertaining to this Service||$1,125,791|
Download a complete listing of all chargeback rates
Updated July 11, 2014
Reviewed July 11, 2014
Published November 29, 2010
Created November 2, 2010: Information provided by the Service Account Management Director and Hosting Services Business Team Lead