The services offered by the Middleware Team conform closely to the definition of roles outlined by the industry standard J2EE specification, but is not limited to supporting only these components. In addition to supporting J2EE platforms, Middleware support server side tiers such as Web Servers (Apache, etc.), Messaging software infrastructure and the overall connector architecture between server-side tiers.
Middleware provides the following services in order to support enterprise applications within the Commonwealth:
- Install, configure and maintain J2EE platforms
- Protect installed media
- Adhere to vendor instructions for installations
- Application hosting configuration best suited for the target application and application requirements
- Platform version and patch-level maintenance
- Review application implementations for compliance, identify exceptions and recommend corrective steps.
- Deploy applications on the supported platforms, and adhere to Change Control policies and procedures for new deployments and application software updates
- Implement various monitoring tools such as HP OpenView and Nastel in order to gain insight to overall application and platform performance
- Tune and configure the tiers within an application realm for optimal performance and application availability.
- Compile a configuration diagram for the environment as it pertains to Middleware components.
- Support the connector architecture on the platform/product side for any external component included in the Application deployment.
COMiT Service Requests
The following table lists the COMiT Service Requests used to initiate a service related to Middleware.
COMiT Service Requests
Lead Time-Business Days
|Component Installation/Configuration/Upgrades and Application Code Drops||This is a request to support and maintain an ITD hosted middleware component for an ITD supported system. This request could be for any one of the following: Component Installation, Configuration Changes, Upgrades or Application Code Drops.||Lead time depends on specific request|
|Component Stop & Start||This is a request to stop and/or start one or more middleware components for these systems. It will typically be used to request a bounce of the environment either in case of a problem or in case of a change to the environment that requires an application restart.||Lead time depends on specific request|
Updated December 7, 2010
Reviewed September 16, 2013
Published August 14, 2009
Created 5/12/09: Information provided by the Middleware Team