Download the complete service offering
1. Description of Service
MassIT provides reliable and centrally managed electronic messaging and collaboration service called MassMail, utilizing Active Directory and Exchange 2007*.
- 500 MB, 1000 MB, 1500 MB mailbox sizes.
- Send and receive emails from an Outlook client, Internet Explorer Outlook Web access, Windows and Mobile wireless devices.
- Calendaring, Public Folders and Global Access List features.
- Outlook Web Access (OWA), secure access from the Internet to the client mailbox.
- Encrypted messages at transport within MassMail.
- Outlook Anywhere (formerly called RPC over HTTPS).
- Outlook 2007 Auto Discover Service (this feature allows users to configure their Outlook profile using their email address and password).
- Daily backups of all mailbox stores retained for 10 calendar days.
- Deleted items retained for 21 calendar days.
- This service does not include purchase and support of Outlook client licenses, and support and configuration of Outlook clients.
- In FY16 the MassMail team will be upgrading all users to Exchange 2013* and mailboxes will be offered at one standard size allowing greater capacity at a single cost. MassIT does not expect any service disruptions and all agencies will be upgraded by 06/30/2016.
For a monthly fee, MassMail customers can opt to use the integrated electronic faxing capability of MassMail through Biscom software which allows users to send and receive e-faxes through the Outlook client.
Freedom of Information Requests (FOI):
All MassMail Freedom of Information (FOI) requests must be submitted to our Legal Department and will be billed back to the requester at our current hourly labor rate (SQ050.)
Active Directory (AD) Domain Controller Responsibilities:
The Messaging Team manages AD domains at the forest level including all forest domain controllers, DNS and global catalog servers. Secretariats manage domains at the child level including child domain controllers, DNS and global catalog servers.
Message Transfer Agent (MTA) Email Routing Service:
MassIT currently routes email between MassMail and other agency managed email systems as a chargeback service to agencies not on MassMail.
MassMail Archive and eDiscovery continues to rollout in FY16:
MassIT's MassMail Archive and eDiscovery Project Team continues the rollout of the Enterprise Mail Archival and eDiscovery services to all MassMail users. The Archive Service provides users with automated permanent historical archiving, journaling, user recall of email messages with stubbed attachments, and centralization of .pst files through an ingestion process. The eDiscovery Service provides users with automated retention that will systematically manage email, robust web-based search tool to easily find archived email attachments, transparent user experience to preserve user access to archived messages from Exchange and mobile device, off-line access client and archive data locally, and ability to access .pst files in a centralized location for ease of searching and time and expense saving for message retrievals.
It is expected that all agencies will be migrated by 06/30/2016. The team is currently scheduling one month in advance of the planned migration and will be outreaching to customers over the next few months. As part of the rollout, agencies will go through an onboarding process to install end user applications, archive current attachments over 120 days, collect user .pst files, and ingest retrieved .pst files to the archive and MassIT does not anticipate any service disruptions.
Benefits of eDiscovery include:
- Provides discovery and secure legal hold of archived email for purposes of e-discovery and internal investigation.
- eDiscovery tools will enable agencies to engage in defensible legal holds and eDiscovery.
- Secure, authorized investigator access, defensible collection results, and chain of custody.
- Supports the EDRM XML export standard for easy data transfer to e-discovery processing, analysis, review, and production applications.
- Searches content archived in the MassMail Archive by an agency.
Benefits from enhanced eDiscovery include:
- Reduces eDiscovery review costs by 90% through Single-click Review and fast-tagging, Built-in Previewer with hit highlighting, and metadata clustering/search filters.
- Provides distributed, collaborative, in-house solution for targeted analysis and review.
- Ensures eDiscovery process is defensible, accurate and complete.
- Provides email thread analytics, concept search, query analysis, search visualization, search report, full audit trail, and data verification.
- Effectively and efficiently manages cases and external review teams.
- Proves collaborative architecture with case-based management, supports multiple geographic locations, supports multiple ongoing cases, and includes extensive role support
- Provides increased reviewer productivity through high-performance architecture and linear review capability.
Services in Development:
Also in FY16, the Messaging Team is pursuing multiple avenues for improving and adding new services.
- ADFS (Active Directory Federation Services).
- The expansion of Lync availability with multiple real-time "chat" sessions.
- Testing voice and presence features.
Support services include:
- A Service Account Manager to answer any questions or concerns regarding MassIT Services.
- Services offered through our Operations Office including Change Management and customer access to incident management via email, phone (CommonHelp).
- The online COMiT service management portal.
- MassIT's Chargeback Billing System.
2. Service Targets and Metrics
|Service Availability||Service Hours are 24x7x52 excluding planned maintenance and unplanned outages. There is a 2 hour window (Wednesday, Thursday-the second week of the month) each month in which MassIT will perform planned systems maintenance.|
|Incident Management*||MassIT Service Management Office has standard processes to managing incidents, requests, change orders and problems.|
Outages or urgent issues should be reported by phone to receive the quickest response 1-866-888-2808.
Staff will respond to service requests 7:00 am - 5:00 pm Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.
Requests after normal business hours must be opened via CommonHelp phone support and reported as an emergency. The on-call person will be paged.
|Planned Maintenance||Mail Servers: Maintenance is performed monthly in a 2 hour window on the second Wednesday and Thursday of each month, between 2:00 am 4:00 am. Ad-hoc maintenance is scheduled through change control and customers are notified as part of the change control process.|
|Planned Maintenance||Exchange Clusters: Maintenance is performed monthly in a 1 hour window on the second Saturday of each month, between 6:00 am 7:00 am. Ad-hoc maintenance is scheduled through change control and customers are notified as part of the change control.|
|Not available at this time.|
|Not available at this time.|
*Incidents, requests, or changes that are outside the scope of the defined service description or normal service hours will be direct charged to the customer.
3. Service Reporting
Currently, there are no reports available for this service.
4. Service Requests
|COMiT Service Requests*||Description||Lead Time-Business Days|
|Join MassMail||This request is to join the Commonwealth's enterprise email system.||This may require a project and is determined by the complexity of the request.|
|MassMail Fax Service||MassMail users can subscribe to this service to send and/or receive faxes at their desktop.||2 Days|
|Modify Mass Mail Services|
This request is to modify current Mass Mail Services including:
|FOI Request||This request is to provide MassMail support for a Freedom of Information (FOI) request.||2 Days or more based on complexity of request|
*For new service requests only. To manage existing requests, please log into COMiT.
5. Customer Responsibilities
Customers create and maintain Exchange mailbox user accounts, and create and manage security and distribution groups and group policies. Customers manage domains at the child level including child Domain Controllers, DNS and Global Catalog servers.
For your convenience, you may view a detailed list of customer responsibilities.
6. Chargeback Rate Information
For more information on Chargeback, including an overview of the program as well as current and previous fiscal year rates, please visit our Chargeback Services webpage.
Updated September 03, 2015
Reviewed September 03, 2015
Published August 14, 2009
Created March 25, 2009: Information provided by the Business Services Team