Enforcement of these rules will be conducted in a fair and reasonable manner. Library staff and/or security staff will intervene to stop prohibited activities and behaviors. Failure to comply with the Library's established rules, regulations, and policies could result in removal from the premises and expulsion from the Library or in arrest or prosecution. Violations could also result in the restriction and/or termination of Library privileges, including the use of Library computers and other equipment.
The following activities are inappropriate to a library setting and prohibited from the Library:
- Engaging in any activity in violation of Federal, State, local, or other applicable law or Library policy
- Creating a disturbance by making noise, talking loudly, or engaging in other disruptive conduct
- Interfering with another person's right to use the Library or with the Library's staff's performance of their duties
- Playing audio equipment so that others may hear it
- Using cell phones or pagers. Cell phones and pager audible ringers must be turned off
- Verbally or physically threatening or harassing other patrons, volunteers, or staff
- Soliciting or canvassing of any kind
- Stealing, damaging, altering, or inappropriate use of Library property, including computer hardware and software, printers, copiers, phones, and other equipment
- Presenting false identification to obtain a Library card or using another person's Library card without permission
- Trespassing in nonpublic areas or being in the Library without permission of an authorized Library employee before or after the Library's operating hours
- Fighting or challenging to fight, running, pushing, shoving, or throwing things
- Gambling and group activities that are disruptive to the Library environment
- Smoking, chewing, and other tobacco use in Library facilities
- Entering the Library barefooted, without a shirt, with offensive body odor or personal hygiene, or being otherwise attired so as to be disruptive to the Library environment
- Bringing in garbage, articles with a foul odor, or articles which, alone or in their aggregate, impede the use of the Library by other users
- Storing items in the Library
- Lying down or sleeping on any floor, couch, table, or seat in the Library, or by blocking aisles, exits, or entrances by sitting or lying down in them
- Neglecting to provide proper supervision of children
- Bringing animals into the Library except those needed to assist persons with disabilities.
All bags and other articles are subject to inspection by security and other authorized personnel. The Library reserves the right to limit the size and number of items brought into the Library.
This information is provided by The State Library of Massachusetts.
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.