Effective: July 17, 2014
To highlight our commitment to transparency in government, the Office of the State Auditor (OSA) has launched several new web based tools for outreach, education and information. These tools are not intended to replace the channels currently in place for press and constituent communication. Rather, these tools are meant to augment our ability to educate, empower, and inform the residents of Massachusetts. Press inquiries, questions or comments (617) 727-2075 regarding the agency’s services should be directed to State Auditor Executive Offices, Room 230, State House, Boston, MA 02133 (617) 727-2075.
Please note, that Records Retention Laws of the Commonwealth requires the Office of the State Auditor to preserve records created or received by a state employee. Pursuant to this retention requirement, comments posted or messages received via an official OSA page on a third-party web-site (such as an official agency profile on a social network) will be treated as state governmental records and may be permanently archived. Information that you submit voluntarily through social media sites associated with this agency where such information is publically available, including your name, city or town, and the substance of anything that you post may be disseminated further by being posted online at this website or be publicly discussed by a member of the administration.
Your Third Party Social Media Accounts
Some pages on the OSA website allow you to interact with your own third party social media accounts on an affirmative basis. For example, from a post on a Blog, you may click a button to “like” a post on your Facebook™ account or to pin a post to your Pinterest™ account. Clicking such a third party social media button on the OSA website may prompt you to log into the relevant third party social media provider if you are not already logged in and should work in the same manner as if you logged in to the third party social media provider directly (e.g., it may set one or more persistent cookies as a result of logging in). If you are already logged in, or once you are logged in, to the third party social media provider, the button will facilitate your interaction with that third party social media provider. Moreover, when you add content from the OSA website to your third party social media account, it is possible that your public account information can be associated with the OSA website content that you are posting. For example, if you retweet a Mass.Gov tweet, someone could use Twitter to search for a keyword in the original tweet and, potentially, see your public account information.
To view the Office of the State Auditor Twitter page, http://www.twitter.com/MassAuditor. Twitter is a free social networking site that allows users to send and read other users' short updates (up to 140 characters in length). While people use Twitter in many different ways for both personal and professional reasons, as a matter of policy:
- The OSA’s use of Twitter is intended as a means to provide announcements and updates on current events or notices to any other users who elect to watch or follow our Twitter feed.
- The account is maintained and monitored by a combination of the State Auditor, Suzanne Bump (usually appends her tweets with “-SB") and members of the OSA staff.
- The OSA may follow people back who follow the OSA, but we generally do not comment on user posts to the Twitter site. If it is your preference that the OSA does not follow you back, please send us a direct message and the OSA will comply with the request as soon as reasonably possible. A follow does not constitute a formal endorsement.
- Twitter is one of the many mediums the OSA is using to connect residents with their government. We will review and update Twitter as much as possible as we monitor and maintain many other channels of feedback, outreach and engagement including feedback from public meetings, email, letters, phone calls, and in-person visits.
- Unless you protect your updates, messages you post on Twitter are received by the OSA and may be public records and may also be publicly available. Because not everyone knows that we are on Twitter, we occasionally search for ‘tweets’ that talk about auditing, government waste, municipal government, etc. but do not reference our account, "MassAuditor", and let that user know about our account. We periodically perform these searches to enable us to more effectively listen to and engage with constituents.
- The Office of the State Auditor will not always respond via Twitter to press inquiries, resident questions or complaints, or other constituent matters. For instructions on appropriate methods for contacting the Office of the State Auditor, please visit the Contact Us page of the Office of the State Auditor website.
To increase transparency, promote public participation and encourage collaboration the Office of the State Auditor participates on open forums including Facebook. The OSA publishes video content and posts to our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/MassAuditor and may embed information from our Facebook page back onto the OSA website.
The Office of the State Auditor is responsible solely for the content uploaded to the official Facebook page, and not for any related posts, videos or linked videos linked from other users, nor for any advertising or other content contained on the Facebook page. The OSA does not control, moderate or endorse the comments or opinions provided by visitors to our site. In addition the OSA does not collect, maintain or disseminate information posted to our Facebook page.
Please note that this Facebook page is hosted by Facebook and is governed by Facebook http://www.facebook.com/about/privacy/ and Terms of Service http://www.facebook.com/policies/. These policies apply to your use of Facebook.
Further, any content or message received through this OSA Facebook Massachusetts Public Records Law, M.G.L c.66, we cannot ensure absolute privacy. Therefore, information that you send to us through this site may be subject to disclosure to members of the public under the Public Records Law. It is the policy of the OSA to not display on the OSA Facebook Page nor to respond to comments made on the OSA Facebook™ page. Learn more at http://www.mass.gov/auditor/office-of-the-state-auditor-privacy-policy.html For questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
To increase transparency, promote public participation and encourage collaboration the Office of the State Auditor participates on the professional networking site LinkedIn™. The OSA publishes content and posts to our LinkedIn page at http://www.linkedin.com/company/2670316
The Office of the State Auditor is responsible solely for the content uploaded to the official LinkedIn page, and not for any related posts, videos or linked videos linked from other users, nor for any advertising or other content contained on the LinkedIn page. The OSA does not control, moderate or endorse the comments or opinions provided by visitors to our site. In addition the OSA does not collect, maintain or disseminate information posted to our LinkedIn page.
The Office of the State Auditor’s LinkedIn ™ page is hosted by LinkedIn ™ and is governed by LinkedIn’s own website policies, including its Privacy http://www.linkedin.com/static?key=privacy_policy&trk=hb_ft_priv and Terms of Service/User Agreement http://www.linkedin.com/static?key=user_agreement&trk=hb_ft_userag. These policies apply to your use of LinkedIn™, including any posting and sharing content.
Further, any content or message posted to the Office of the State Auditor’s LinkedIn™ page is subject to the LinkedIn’s website policies and to the Massachusetts Public Records Law, M.G.L c.66, § 10, we cannot ensure absolute privacy. Therefore, information that you send to us through this site may be subject to disclosure to members of the public under the Public Records Law. Learn more at http://www.mass.gov/auditor/office-of-the-state-auditor-privacy-policy.html. For questions, please contact email@example.com
To both increase transparency and save money on photo hosting and streaming, the Office of the State Auditor publishes all of our photo content to our Flickr site at http://www.flickr.com/photos/57980790@N04.
The Office of the State Auditor is responsible solely for the content uploaded to the official Flickr site, and not for any related videos or linked photos linked from other users, nor for any advertising or other content contained on the Flickr website.
If you use any of our photos for another work, such as a story, blog post, printing, etc., we require that you provide credit by stating at or near the photo, "Photo Courtesy of the Massachusetts Office of the State Auditor."