Center for Health Information and Analysis
The mission of the Center for Health Information and Analysis (CHIA) is to monitor the Massachusetts health care system and to provide reliable information and meaningful analysis for those seeking to improve health care quality, affordability, access, and outcomes.
Center for Health Information and Analysis Regulations
- The Employer Free Rider Surcharge: Policy, Objectives, and Results, July 2011
This report provides an overview of the Employer Free Rider Surcharge, which is an innovative policy tool, intended to encourage enrollment in private coverage.
- A Guide to Managed Care in Massachusetts, July 2011
This guide provides information comparing the performance of state managed care (health plans) on measures important for ensuring quality care and services.
- Health Safety Net: 2011 Quarter 1 Report, July 2011
This report reflects Health Safety Net utilization and payments for the first three months, 10/1/10-12/31/10, of HSN fiscal year.
- Massachusetts Acute Hospital Financial Performance: Fiscal Year 2010, July 2011
This report, required by statutory mandate, reflects an assessment by the DHCFP on Massachusetts acute hospital financial performance.
- Massachusetts Employer Survey 2010, July 2011
This report provides information on employer health insurance offer rates, employee take up rates, health insurance premiums, employer contribution amounts, and employee cost sharing requirement, and includes:
Key Findings from the 2010 Massachusetts Employer Survey
The 2010 Massachusetts Employer Health Insurance Survey Field Report
Massachusetts Employer Health Insurance Survey
- Student Health Program: Academic Year 2009-2010 Annual Report, August 2011
An annual report on student health programs (SHPs).
- Fair Share Contribution: Filing Year 2010 Results and Analyses, September 2011
A report detailing the Fair Share Contribution results for 2010.
- Health Safety Net: 2011 Quarter 2 Report, September 2011
This report reflects Health Safety Net utilization and payments for the first six months, 10/1/10-3/31/11, of HSN Fiscal Year 2011.
- Recommendations of the Special Commission on Provider Price Reform, November 9, 2011
A report of the recommendations made by the Commission on rising costs of health care insurance and the impact of reimbursement rates paid by health insurers to providers.
- Massachusetts Health Care Cost Trends: Premiums and Expenditures, May 2012
This report analyzes the premium trends in Massachusetts for this past fiscal year, as well as an analysis of total medical expenses (TME).
- Mandated Benefit Review of SB1070: An Act Relative to Oral Cancer Therapy, August 2012
A review of Senate Bill 1070, which would mandate oral and intravenous chemotherapies be covered equitably under medical benefit plans, by the DHCFP at the behest of the Joint Committee on Health Care Financing.
- Mandated Benefit Review of HB52: An Act to Provide Access to Hearing Aids for Children, August 2012
The Joint Committee on Health Care Financing required the agency to review House Bill 52, which would mandate insurance coverage for hearing aid devices and related services for children.
- Mandated Benefit Review: Review and Evaluation of Proposed Legislation Related to Marriage and Family Therapy: House Bill Number 295, August 2012
A review required by the Joint Committee on Health Care Financing on House Bill 295, which would add marriage and family therapists to the definition of licensed mental health professionals.
- Massachusetts Acute Hospital Financial Performance: Fiscal Year 2011(October 1, 2010-September 30, 2011), August 2012
This report examines hospital profitability, liquidity, and solvency in order to monitor and compare the financial status of acute care hospitals.
- Massachusetts Health Care Cost Trends: Efficiency of Emergency Department Utilization in Massachusetts, August 2012
This report describes the trends of Emergency Department visits and costs in Massachusetts, examines the magnitude of inefficient ED utilization, and investigates various factors behind the ED trends.
- Massachusetts Health Care Cost Trends: Preventable Hospitalizations, August 2012
The report analyzes preventable hospitalizations by using the federal Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality Prevention Quality Indicators.
- Health Safety Net: 2011 Quarter 3 Report, September 2012
This report reflects HSN utilization and payments for the first nine months (October 1, 2010 through June 30, 2011) of Health Safety Net Fiscal Year 2011.
- Health Safety Net: 2011 Annual Report, September 2012
This report reflects the Health Safety Net utilization and payments for Fiscal Year 2011.
- Health Care Provider Price Variation in the Massachusetts Commercial Market - Baseline Report (November 2012)