Governor Charles D. Baker's Budget Recommendation - House 2 Fiscal Year 2017

Outside Section 8



Previous Outside Section Next Outside Section

 

GIC Contribution Ratios

SECTION 8.   Section 8 of chapter 32A of the General Laws, as appearing in the 2014 Official Edition, is hereby amended by striking out the first sentence and inserting in place thereof the following 2 sentences:-
For policies of group life insurance and accidental death and dismemberment insurance, and group health insurance purchased by the commission in accordance with the provisions of sections 4, 5 and 10C, the commonwealth, on behalf of active employees and their dependents, shall contribute 75 per cent of the total monthly premium or rate applicable to said coverages and the active employees on behalf of themselves or themselves and their dependents shall contribute the remaining 25 per cent of the total monthly premium or rate. For such policies, the commonwealth, on behalf of retired employees and their dependents, shall contribute no less than 75 per cent of the total monthly premium or rate applicable to said coverages and the retired employees on behalf of themselves or themselves and their dependents shall contribute the remaining 25 per cent of the total monthly premium or rate, except, that upon approval by way of an annual, or more frequent appropriation act, the commonwealth may contribute more than 75 per cent but less than the entire total monthly premium or rate.
 
 

Summary:
Under current law, state employees hired before July 1, 2003, must contribute twenty percent of their monthly health insurance premium, while those hired thereafter contribute twenty-five percent. This section equalizes that contribution at twenty-five percent.



top of page link top of page