For Immediate Release - April 04, 2014

William F. Horton, Jr. and Phillip R. Horton Plead Guilty

           Cape and Islands District Attorney Michael O'Keefe announced that William F. Horton, Jr. (DOB: 3/11/1939), of South Dennis, MA and Phillip R. Horton (DOB: 7/31/1986) of Apopka, Florida, pled guilty today in Barnstable Superior Court to the killing of Joseph F. Tomaselli, Jr. age 24.  Tomaselli was shot to death in his car at a beach parking area in South Yarmouth on Sunday evening, April 19, 2009.

            The Hortons were arrested separately in March 2011 after a two year long investigation by the members of the Massachusetts State Police Detective Unit assigned to the Cape and Islands District Attorney’s Office and the Yarmouth Police Department.  The investigation involved the use of a wiretap  supervised by the Cape and Island’s District Attorney’s Office, and monitored by members of the State Police Detective Unit, Yarmouth Police Department and Barnstable County Sheriff’s Office. 

            William F. Horton, Jr. pled guilty to Murder in the First Degree and was sentenced by the Honorable Judge Gary A. Nickerson to life in state prison without the possibility of parole.  William F. Horton, Jr. admitted to planning the killing of Joseph Tomaselli and shooting him once in the head. 

            Phillip R. Horton pled guilty to Voluntary Manslaughter for his role in luring his friend Joseph Tomaselli to the beach area and for acting as a look out.  Judge Nickerson sentenced Phillip R. Horton to 15 to 20 years committed to state prison.

            Phillip R. Horton also pled guilty to Possession with the Intent to Distribute a Class B substance, oxycodone, and 5 counts of Distribution of Class D marijuana.  These drug charges resulted from an undercover drug investigation conducted by the Cape and Islands Drug Task Force in 2011.  Judge Nickerson sentenced Phillip R. Horton to 5 years of probation concurrent on each drug charge and to follow the committed sentence received on the Manslaughter case.  

            The cases were prosecuted by Assistant District Attorney Sharon J. Thibeault.