Overview of changes from Interim Report to Final Report
The Final HAI Report incorporates the work of the Expert Panel and Task Groups during the period from July 2007 through January 2008. Compared to the Interim Report of June 2007, the new document includes these changes in format and content:
- Report is reorganized into Part 1 (all Prevention and Reporting Recommendations) and Part 2 (Complementary Research Findings, such as hospital survey, hospital executive focus groups, economic analysis, etc.)
- The flow of Part 1 is revised to have Prevention Recommendations precede Reporting Recommendations.
- Measures for reporting now include 10 outcomes (finalizing MRSA point prevalence study, adding C. difficile-associated disease for internal reporting) and 3 process measures (finalizing influenza vaccination rates of healthcare workers for Lehman Center reporting).
- Detailed specifications for central venous catheter-associated bloodstream infections (CVC-BSI) has been updated and made consistent with revised 2008 NHSN language in the area of criteria 2 and 3.
- Addition of new language for recommendations in which modifications of adult-focused statements are not directly applicable to infants and children; these modifications are found in hand hygiene, VAP and BSI sections.
- Description of Pediatric Affinity Group and ad hoc subcommittee on Catheter associated urinary tract infections (CAUTI)
New Sections in Final Report:
- Infection Prevention and Control Programs in Healthcare Settings (pages 25-35)
- Prevention of Bloodstream Infection (pages 69-82)
- Prevention of Catheter-associated Urinary Tract Infections (pages 83-89) [excerpted from article in press, with permission of the IDSA/SHEA HAI Task Force]
- MRSA Prevalence Survey in Massachusetts Acute Care Facilities (page 123-126)
- Reporting of Influenza Vaccination Rates of Health Care Personnel (page 126-128)
- Internal Surveillance of Clostridium difficile-associated disease (CDAD) (page 130)
Modified Sections in Final Report:
- Updated Contact and Standard Precautions in Hospitals following the release of 2007 Isolation Precaution Guideline
- Completion of Surgical Site Infection prevention section
- Modified Electronic Collection of laboratory Data on MDROs
- In Part 2: Hospital Survey results: minor data corrections to Table 19, page 31 for variables related to staffing of Infection Control programs.
Final Report - Part 1 (PDF 1.3MB) file size 1MB file size 1MB
Final Report - Part 2 (PDF) file size 1MB
This information is provided by the Betsy Lehman for Patient Safety and Medical Error Reduction within the Department of Public Health.