The Center for Health Information and Analysis (CHIA) requires Massachusetts acute care hospitals to submit a cost report each fiscal year. These reports are used by the Center for regulatory, policy development, monitoring and informational purposes. The report contains aggregate fiscal year hospital data, including:
- Total expenses by overhead, ancillary, routine inpatient and routine outpatient departments;
- Departmental expense breakouts by salaries and wages, physician compensation, purchased services, supplies and expenses, and major movable equipment depreciation;
- Gross revenues by ancillary, inpatient routine and outpatient routine departments;
- Statistics (including beds, patient days, admissions, discharges, occupancy and length of stay) by routine inpatient and outpatient departments;
- Statistics by overhead and ancillary departments;
- Gross and net patient service revenues by payer.
This database, primarily used for pricing, contains yearly cost report information. The database also includes cost utilization and revenue data by provider.