Latest update includes:
- Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Period 3
- Close/Open Key Dates September 30 – October 7
- MMARS Saturday Hours
- Weekly Fraud Fact – Inventory Management
- HR/CMS Drop-In Sessions
- Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
Fringe Benefit, Payroll Tax, Indirect Cost Charges for Accounting Period 3
The fringe benefit, payroll tax and indirect cost chargebacks for Accounting Period 3, (September), FY2018, will run on Saturday, October 7. All eligible expenditures processed during Accounting Period 3 will be subject to these assessments.
Departments should ensure that the budget structure tables for appropriated (payroll tax only) federal grants and other non-budgetary accounts are properly established so these charges post without rejecting under object codes D09 (fringe benefits and payroll taxes) and E16 (indirect costs).
Close/Open Key Dates September 30 – October 7
October 1, Sunday
- All Federal Grant Unexpended Balances for ACD and NCD appropriations must be resolved by October 1.
October 7, Saturday
- Run Fringe, Indirect and Payroll Tax for Accounting Period 3.
MMARS Saturday Hours
MMARS and LCM will be available Saturday, September 30, from 9:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. The Help Desk will not be staffed, and any Saturday Help Desk calls will be returned on Monday, October 2.
Weekly Fraud Fact– Inventory Management
Governments, like most businesses, have considerable investments in inventory. While governments are not primarily engaged in manufacturing or sales, they stock significant amounts of inventory of various types: gas, oil and supplies for car pools; weapons for public safety and correctional officers; salt for ice control; books and laboratory equipment for universities; drugs in hospitals; inventories of laptops and other computer equipment etc. Many of these items have a fairly high value to weight or value to size ratio, making them targets for thieves. Once stolen, they can be disposed of easily.
Proper controls must be in place to account for governmental inventories. Receiving records should be validated against deliveries. Materials should be stored in secured areas. Frequent physical inventories may be necessary and annual inventories are generally required.
There should be adequate segregation of duties between receiving, payment processing and inventory reconciliation. Certain stewardship resources, such as firearms and laptops, should be charged out to individuals and their return should be verified.
For more information on the Risks, Red Flags, and Best Practices for Inventory Management visit: AGA-Fraud-Prevention-Toolkit.
The Office of the Comptroller offers Fraud Awareness and Prevention training for all Commonwealth employees. Register for the class via our Online Form. To schedule department specific training, please contact Comptroller’s Help Desk at (617) 973-2468 or via email at Comptroller.Info@State.MA.US.
To report Fraud, Waste, or Abuse contact one of the Commonwealth’s Whistleblower Hotlines.
HR/CMS Drop-In Sessions
Feeling like you need some assistance with HR/CMS? Join HRD for the October HR/CMS drop-in sessions. The sessions will be informal. HRD staff will be available to go over HR or Time & Attendance questions and provide one-on-one assistance with HR/CMS transactions. The next drop-in sessions will be held on Wednesdays, 10/4 and 10/25, from 10 A.M. to 2 P.M. at One Ashburton Place, 10th Floor HRD PC Lab.
Upcoming Training Sessions and Meetings
- LCM Management –Tuesday, October 3, 9:00 A.M. – 3:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place, Boston, 9th Floor Training Room
- Introduction to MMARS Warehouse –Thursday, October 5, 9:00 A.M. – 3:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place, Boston, 9th Floor Training Room
- Webcast Accounts Receivable for Beginners – Tuesday, October 10, 2:00 P.M. – 3:30 P.M., Online Training
- Introduction to State Finance and MMARS Navigation - Tuesday, October 10, 9:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place, Boston, 9th Floor Training Room
- Appropriation Management –Thursday, October 12, 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place, Boston, 9th Floor Training Room
- CIW Report Building with Access - Monday, October 16, 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place, Boston, 9th Floor Training Room
- Foundations of Payroll –Wednesday, October 18, 1:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place, Boston, 9th Floor Training Room
- Establishing a Federal Grant –Thursday, October 19, 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M., One Ashburton Place, Boston, 9th Floor Training Room
Due to technical difficulties, the Training and Registration Page is not available at this time. Please register for class on our Online Form. Please view the current training sessions and meetings calendar for a schedule of our trainings.