Adoptions: Family Law Advocacy for Low and Moderate Income Litigants
, 2d ed., 2008, Chapter 14. Mass. Legal Services
This source focuses on the forms to be filed and how to fill them out.
MGL c. 18B sec. 21
[DSS's] Adoption Subsidy Program
MGL c. 18B sec. 22 Adoption and Medical Assistance for Interstate Children; Interstate Compacts
MGL c.46, sec.2B-2C Access to Birth Certificates.
Permits certain adoptees and their parents access to birth records
MGL c. 210 Adoption of Children and Change of Names
102 CMR 5 Agencies Offering Child Placement and Adoption Services, Licensure or Approval Standards, Office for Children
110 CMR 7.100 et seq. Eligibility and Recruitment of Foster/Pre-adoptive Parent Applicants
110 CMR 7.200 et seq Adoption, Social Services Department
Application for a Non-Certified Record of Birth Prior to Adoption , Registry of Vital Records and Statistics.
Adoption of Marlene
, 443 Mass. 494, 822 NE2d 714 (2005).
Supreme Judicial Court held: "We conclude that a parent's consent to adoption of his or her child under G.L. c. 210, § 2 , does not terminate the parental duty to support the child."
Adoption of Tammy
, 416 Mass. 205, 619 NE2d 315 (1993)
Supreme Court stated that statute did not preclude same-sex cohabitants from jointly adopting child, and that adoption was in best interests of child.
Magazu v. Dept. of Children and Families
, 473 Mass. 430 (2016)
The denial of a couple's application "to become foster and preadoptive parents because of their use of corporal punishment as a form of discipline in their home" was OK, even though they held a sincere belief that "physical discipline is an integral aspect of their Christian faith"
Mohr v. Commonwealth
, 421 Mass. 147, 653 NE2d 1104 (1995)
Adoptive parents may recover in a "wrongful adoption" action based on adoption agency's material misrepresentations of fact regarding child's history prior to adoption.
American Academy of Adoption Attorneys
P.O. Box 33053
Washington, DC 20033
This is a national association of attorneys who practice, or have otherwise distinguished themselves in the field of adoption law. The Academy publishes a newsletter, holds annual meetings, and provides educational seminars. Also provides information on retaining a lawyer and lists members by state.
Massachusetts Adoption Resource Exchange
45 Franklin Street, 5th Floor
Boston, MA 02110
Nonprofit organization that strives to place older and special needs children. Offers information on adoption, support groups, FAQs, and links to related web sites.
Massachusetts Department of Early Education and Care (EEC)
51 Sleeper Street, 4th Floor
Boston, MA 02210
The licensing authority for Massachusetts' adoption agencies.
- Access to Birth Records Prior to Adoption , Division of Vital Records
FAQ on access to birth records for adoptees, how to apply, and what to expect in the process.
- Adoption , Mass. Dept. of Children and Families. Includes information on how to adopt, resources for adoptive parents and more.
, Federal Child Welfare Information Gateway
Includes information on many aspects of adoption including information for prospective adoptive parents, and sources on foster care adoption, supporting birth parents, search and reunion and much more.
, US Citizenship and Immigration Services
"Adopting a child from another country is often a complicated journey, and the information on this site is designed to help you as you move forward." Explains the different processes available to bring your adopted child into the US, with details and links to forms.
- The Adoption History Project
, University of Oregon Dept. of History
Great site bursting with information on the social and historical development of adoption with links to primary sources.
- Adoption Questions and Answers
, GLAD, June 2014
Information for LGBT individuals and couples on "bringing unrelated children into the family or securing the legal relationship of a second parent to the child of his or her partner or spouse.
- Child Citizenship Act Fact Sheet
, US Citizenship and Immigration Services
Explains the circumstances under which a foreign-adopted child may become a US citizen.
- Guide for Foster and Pre-Adoptive Parents file size 3MB , Mass. Dept. of Social Services
"Provide[s] you with some basic information about how the placement process works at the Department, some of the procedures and situations you can expect, the roles of various Department staff, available resources, and how to access assistance and support."
- Intercountry Adoption
, US State Dept.
"Each year, thousands of Americans adopt a child from overseas. The process of adopting a child from another country, however, can be difficult. That's where we come in. This website aims to provide what you need to know about the adoption process."
- Massachusetts Adoption of Children Act, St. 1851, c.324
Credited as "the first modern adoption law, recognizing adoption as a social and legal operation based on child welfare rather than adult interests."
- Use of Advertising and Facilitators in Adoption Placements: Summary of State Laws
, Child Welfare Information Gateway
Survey of state laws on the use of advertising or intermediaries in adoption. Includes citations to relevant laws.
- Adopting in Massachusetts , University of Massachusetts Center for Adoption Research, 2000. A 69-page publication, this book provides clear information about about the entire adoption process.
- Adoption and Reproductive Technology in Massachusetts , by Susan L. Crockin et al. MCLE No. 2000-10.22-BK, 2000.
- "Critical Analysis of Interstate Recognition of Lesbigay Adoptions," 3 Ava Maria Law Review 561, 2005
Also available online to library card holders through Hein Online.
- Adoption Law and Practice , by Joan Heifetz Hollinger et al. Lexis, loose-leaf.
- Adoption Law: Theory, Policy and Practice , by Cynthia Mabry, W.S. Hein, 2006
- "Enforcement of Contractual Release and Hold Harmless Language in 'Wrongful Adoption' Cases, by Howard M. Cooper, 44 Boston Bar Journal 14 (May – June 2000)
- Massachusetts Practice, vol. 5A (Methods of Practice with Forms) , 4th ed. West Group, 2000 with annual supplement, sec. 25:1 to 25:13 (Includes forms)
- Massachusetts Practice, vol. 14A (Summary of Basic Law) , 4th ed. West Group, 2006 with annual supplement, sec.8.128-8.147
- Reproductive Technology and Adoption Update 2008 , CD Sound Recording, MCLE, 2008
- Ultimate Insider's Guide to Adoption: Everything You Need to Know About Domestic and International Adoption , by Elizabeth Swire Falken, Warner Wellness, 2006
Last update: January 13, 2016