Family Law Advocacy for Low and Moderate Income Litigants
, 2d ed., 2008. Mass. Legal Services.
Online version of great book includes checklists, sample agreements and forms and so much more. Despite the title, those in all income brackets will find it useful. Best online source.
MGL c.208 Divorce
- Massachusetts Rules of Domestic Relations Procedure
- Supplemental Rules of the Probate and Family Court 401-411
- Probate and Family Court Standing Order 2-16: Parent Education Program Attendance
Help in Determining which Forms to Use
What Forms Do I File for Divorce? Explains which forms you should use, with links to the court forms themselves.
Divorce Forms . Links to court forms and additional legal forms related to divorce.
Ansin v. Craven-Ansin
, 457 Mass. 283 (2010)
Post-Nuptial Agreements may be enforced. "[T]he judge should determine at a minimum whether (1) each party has had an opportunity to obtain separate legal counsel of each party's own choosing; (2) there was fraud or coercion in obtaining the agreement; (3) all assets were fully disclosed by both parties before the agreement was executed; (4) each spouse knowingly and explicitly agreed in writing to waive the right to a judicial equitable division of assets and all marital rights in the event of a divorce; and (5) the terms of the agreement are fair and reasonable at the time of execution and at the time of divorce."
- Divorce After 50
: Your Guide to the Unique Legal and Financial Challenges, Nolo, 2016
Requires Library Card for access
- Divorce and the Alternatives
, Neighborhood Legal Services
Explains the differences between annulment, separate support and divorce
- Divorce Statistics
, Divorce Magazine
A large number of statistics about divorce in an easy-to-read format. Includes divorce rate by state, statistics about marriage and divorce and children of divorce.
- Divorce Without Court: A Guide to Mediation & Collaborative Divorce
, Nolo, 2012
Includes information on mediation, writing the agreement, doing legal research, and more. Requires Library Card for access
- How do I get a copy of my divorce decree? , Mass. Trial Court.
- Nolo's Essential Guide to Divorce
, Nolo, 2016
Not specific to Massachusetts, includes information on uncontested divorce, mediation, custody disputes, child support, health insurance and more. Requires Library Card for access
- Parent Education Providers , Mass. Probate Court, May 2011
List of approved parenting programs in Massachusetts
- The Process of Exchanging Information in Probate and Family Court
, Neighborhood Legal Services, 2000
Although quite old, this handbook does a good job of explaining what can be requested and how to do so, as well as providing warning of when an attorney's help is critical.
- Self-Help: Annulment , Mass. Trial Court.
Lists the grounds for an annulment, and explains why, in many cases, a divorce may be a simpler option
- Separation and Divorce
, Mass. Legal Help, 2010
This is a chapter of a book written for domestic violence survivors, but the information would be helpful to anyone just starting the divorce process. Covers the basics of where to file, costs, timetable and more, with links to forms.
- When is My Divorce Final? , Mass. Trial Court.
- Checklist for Divorce Separation Agreements
, Mass. Council on Family Mediation
A list of the many items to consider when drafting your separation agreement
- Merger vs. Survival of Divorce Agreements in Massachusetts
There are critical differences between a separation agreement that is "merged" and one that "survives" the divorce judgment. Article provides help in choosing the one that's right for you.
Financial Statements and Other Financial Issues
- Supplemental Probate and Family Court Rule 410: Mandatory Self-Disclosure
- Divorce & Money: How to Make the Best Financial Decisions During Divorce
, Nolo, 2013
Includes information on dividing property, doing taxes, dealing with child support, and more. Requires Library Card for access
- DOR Directive 89-3: Divorce judgment nisi and filing status , Mass. Dept. of Revenue
"Since the material (and tax) status of a divorced or divorcing individual depends on the nature of the judgment of divorce in effect at the close of the tax year, if the judgment nisi is in effect at that time, the taxpayer is married and must file either jointly or as married filing separately. If the judgment nisi has then become absolute, the taxpayer's filing status is 'single'."
- Financial Statements and Financial Disclosure in Massachusetts Divorce
, Atty. Howard I. Goldstein
Provides helpful advice as well as links to forms, rules, and information on other aspects of divorce
- How to Fill Out a Financial Statement
, Neighborhood Legal Services
Includes information on records to gather and what to include in your financial statement
- Living Life After Divorce & Widowhood: Financial Planning, Skills & Strategies for When the Unthinkable Happens
, Atlantic Publishing, 2009
Book about how to live on one income and manage your finances. Requires Library Card for access
- Print Source: Trying Divorce Cases in Massachusetts
, MCLE, 2015.
Chapter 7 Doing your Digging: Discovery in Divorce Actions and Chapter 8 Uncovering Hidden Assets and Income
- Financial Aspects of Divorce in Massachusetts , MCLE, loose-leaf
- Harris, Susan. "Woof, woof, we're getting a divorce" : pet custody and the law. v. 30 Issue 3 Massachusetts Family Law Journal 30 (May/June 2012)
- Massachusetts Divorce Law Practice Manual , MCLE, loose-leaf
- Military Families and Divorce
, MCLE, 2011
Discusses the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act, custody, family support and pensions
Last update: October 6, 2016