MGL c.190B, Article V
. Protection of Persons Under Disability and Their Property
A complete overhaul of Mass. law, the Uniform Probate Code's provisions strive to enhance protection for the individuals' civil rights and autonomy
MGL c.190B, Article 5A, as added by St.2014, c.225
. Uniform Adult Guardianship and Protective Proceedings Jurisdiction.
Provides a procedure for situations in which a caregiver lives in another state, or when the person involved lives in more than one state.
Guardianship of V.V.
, 470 Mass. 590 (2015)
A "parent whose minor child is the subject of a guardianship proceeding pursuant to G. L. c. 190B, § 5-206, and who cannot afford counsel has a right to have counsel appointed and to be so informed."
L.B. v. Chief Justice of the Probate and Family Court Dept.
, 474 Mass. 231 (2016)
"When an indigent parent who is not represented by counsel seeks... to remove a guardian who has been appointed for a minor child,...the parent has a due process right to counsel to prosecute such a petition, and to be informed of this right, provided the parent presents a meritorious claim for removal...similarly, ... an indigent parent who petitions to modify the terms of a guardianship by seeking a substantial change in the provisions for visitation is entitled as a matter of due process to counsel, and to be informed of this right, provided the parent presents a meritorious claim."
- General Information Regarding Guardianships and Conservatorships , Mass. Probate and Family Court
Explains the different types of guardianship and conservatorship under the Mass. Uniform Probate Code
- Handbook for Massachusetts Conservators
Explains the rights of individuals and the obligations of conservators, as well as how to terminate the conservatorship
- Handbook for Massachusetts Guardians
Includes the rights of incapacitated persons, the obligations of guardians and terminating guardianship
- Limitations to Guardianship for Attorneys and Judges , and Limitations to Guardianship for Clinicians . Mass. Probate and Family Court
Provides examples of types of limitations that can be applied to guardianship under the Mass. Uniform Probate Code
- Massachusetts Guardianship Association
"The MGA is a non-profit organization offering information and resources to individuals, families, and professionals on Guardianship and related matters in Massachusetts." On this site, you can find Information and Videos on Guardianship of a Minor , Guardianship of an Adult , including info on a Roger's Guardianship , Conservatorship , and Alternatives to Guardianship and Conservatorship for Adults .
- MUPC Article V Procedural Outline for Guardianship of an Incapacitated Person, Conservatorship of a Protected Person , Mass. Probate and Family Court, 2009
"The contents of this outline are intended to provide general guidance to Court staff in the handling of Guardianship of Incapacitated Persons and Conservatorship cases." It does not cover guardianship of minor cases. Provides guidance on a wide variety of procedural issues.
- Parents Have the Right to a Court-Appointed Lawyer in Guardianship Cases
, Mass. Legal Help, 2016
"If your child is under 18 and involved in a guardianship case, you have the right to a lawyer. If your income is so low you cannot afford a lawyer, you have the right to a court-appointed lawyer." Explains when and how to have a lawyer appointed.
- Dramatic Revisions in Guardianship and Conservatorship Law Under the New MUPC , Adv. Legal Studies, Ctr. for CLE & Academic Conferences, 2009
- Guardianship and Conservatorship in Massachusetts , Lexis, with supplement.
- Guardianship and Conservatorship Practice Under the Massachusetts Uniform Probate Code , 4th ed., MCLE, loose-leaf
- The New Massachusetts Uniform Probate Code , MCLE, 2009
- Probate and Guardianship Reform: Massachusetts Uniform Probate Code , Mass. Bar Institute, 2009
Last update: April 14, 2017