Citizen's Guide to Town Meetings
, Secretary of the Commonwealth
"This booklet outlines the forms and procedures used in Massachusetts Town Meetings."
Massachusetts Constitution, Amendment LXXXIX
Draws the distinction between cities and towns, and allows for home-rule charters
MGL c.39 Municipal Government: City Government and Town Meetings
MGL c.43A Standard Form of Representative Town Meeting Government
Most Massachusetts town meetings use one or both of the following:
Roberts Rules of Order
- Official site with ordering information as well as frequently asked questions about the rules
- 1915 edition online , Bartleby
- Print source from our law libraries
- Roberts Rules of Order in Plain English
"Abbreviated essential parliamentary rules condensed from Robert's Rules of order newly revised."
- Roberts Rules of Order in the Courts (print) provides citations to court cases about the rules
Town Meeting Time
- Massachusetts Government
, Encyclopedia Britannica
Provides a short history of the introduction and evolution of town meetings
- Forms of Local Government
, Mass. Municipal Management Association.
Explains the four basic types of local government in Massachusetts
- Town Meeting
An explanation of how town meetings work throughout New England
- About Town Meeting
A nice explanation of how a representative town meeting works in one town
- Understanding Town Meeting
An introduction to the open town meeting process in one town
- Guide to Citizens' Petitions for Town Meetings
, by James Lampke, Hull Town Counsel, 2013.
A brief guide "intended to present in layman’s terms the process for citizens to petition Town Meeting."
Last update: October 11, 2016