1. The Standards for Category E, Guardians ad Litem/Evaluators in actions involving: Domestic Relations or Custody/Visitation/Adoption G.L. c. 215, § 56A ; c. 208, § 16 , (hereinafter “Standards”) are effective January 14, 2008.
2. The purpose of these Standards is to:
- provide accountability related to guardian ad litem/evaluations;
- improve custody, visitation, and other outcomes for children;
- promote uniformity and consistency in guardian ad litem/evaluations; and
- promote respect for the rights of parties and their children, including their safety.
3. It is ordered that all guardians ad litem/evaluators appointed pursuant to G.L. c. 215, § 56A , c. 208, § 16 utilize the Standards in conducting these evaluations. Guardians ad litem/evaluators who are certified by the Probate and Family Court Administrative Office to receive appointments under Supreme Judicial Court Rule 1:07, and those persons not on the list who are appointed in accordance with Section (4) of Rule 1:07, are governed by this Order and shall conduct their evaluations in accordance with the Standards.
Effective January 14, 2008.