1. Applicants who are reapplying for admission to the Massachusetts bar should fill out the online application (applicants can save and return to the application at a later date, or print). Alternatively, applicants can fill out the Reapplication Form in PDF format (fillable online or can be printed and filled out by hand).
The reapplication form includes a petition cover sheet, a petition to the court requiring your original signature and an original signature by the recommending attorney, the applicant's Statement to the Board of Bar Examiners requiring your original signature and the authorization form requiring your original signature.
You may contact the Board of Bar Examiners directly at 617-482-4466 with questions regarding the proper disclosure of information required in the Statement to the Board of Bar Examiners.
2. A Law School Certificate , two letters of recommendation (see guidelines here), and MPRE Score Report* are required only if you did not submit these with your previous application. Please note: Your reapplication will be returned to you if said requirements are not on file with the Clerk’s office.
*Multistate Professional Responsibility Score Report (official or unofficial) showing a scaled score of 85 or greater. The MPRE is administered by the National Conference of Bar Examiners and is given three times per year, in March, August, and November. For an application, call 608-280-8558. For a copy of your Score Report you can call 608-280-8558, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit the National Conference of Bar Examiners' website.
3. A Certificate of Admission and Good Standing, if applicable, from each jurisdiction in which you have been admitted to practice law.
4. Filing Fees:
•If taking the test without the technology fee ($75) associated with the Laptop Computer Testing Program, please submit $815.00 in the form of a money order or bank check payable to Commonwealth of Massachusetts. No personal checks will be accepted. All filing fees are non-refundable and non-transferable.
•If taking the test with the technology fee ($75) associated with the Laptop Computer Testing Program, please submit a single payment of $890.00 (combined filing fee and technology fee) in the form of a money order or bank check payable to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, and a Registration and Statement of Compliance Form (included in the Reapplication Form). No personal checks will be accepted. All filing fees are non-refundable and non-transferable. Please note that in addition to these fees, you will also be billed separately by ExamSoft for the $100.00 software license and service fee.
Send all of the above materials and filing fees to the following mailing address:
Maura S. Doyle, Clerk
Supreme Judicial Court for The County of Suffolk
John Adams Courthouse, 1st Floor
One Pemberton Square, Suite 1300
Boston, MA 02108-1707
NOTE: Incomplete Applications for Admission will not be accepted for filing by the Clerk's Office
Nonstandard Testing Accommodations or Alternate Site Seating
Any person in need of nonstandard testing accommodations for the Massachusetts bar examination or alternate site seating in Springfield, MA, is required to file the following with the Board of Bar Examiners (BBE):
1. Nonstandard Testing Accommodations - If you have a disability that will require special assistance or accommodations on the bar examination, you must complete and file the Nonstandard Testing Accommodation form available at the BBE's office or online at www.mass.gov/bb.
Both the applicant and professionals must complete these forms to provide the BBE with details and documentation relating to the disability.
The Nonstandard Testing Accommodations form must be submitted in duplicate to the Board of Bar Examiners on or before the filing deadline. Note: Do not submit your nonstandard testing accommodations form to the Clerk's Office.
2. Springfield Seating - The examination will also be administered in Springfield, MA, on the examination dates at Western New England University School of Law, 1215 Wilbraham Road, Springfield, MA. To request seating in Springfield, please fill out the Springfield Seating Request Form and mail it to the Board of Bar Overseers (address below).
For lodging information, call the Office of Travel & Tourism: 1-800-447-MASS or www.massvacation.com or the BBE at 617-482-4466.
Send Nonstandard Accommodations forms and/or Springfield Seating Request forms to the following mailing address:
Board of Bar Examiners
Edward W. Brooke Courthouse
24 New Chardon Street, First Floor
Boston, MA 02114