An attorney may change his or her name. The attorney must submit an Affidavit of Name Change pdf format of Massachusetts Attorney Name Change Form
with supporting documentation. The affidavit must be completed, signed and mailed to the below address with related documentation. Once this office receives the affidavit with the supporting documentation, the attorney's name will be changed.

The original name, as it appears on record with the Supreme Judicial Court and the Board of Bar Overseers , will change to the name stated on the completed affidavit. The affidavit and related documents will be filed with the attorney's records. 

Please mail the Affidavit of Name Change and supporting documentation to:

Maura S. Doyle, Clerk
Supreme Judicial Court for The County of Suffolk
John Adams Court House, 1st Floor
One Pemberton Square, Suite 1300
Boston, MA 02108-1707
Phone: 617-557-1050

Frequently Asked Questions

1. When will the name change go into effect?
Within days of filing the completed materials, this office will change your name and forward that to the Board of Bar Overseers.

2. What supporting documents should be filed with the affidavit?
Documents (i.e. marriage certificate, divorce decree) supporting your name change must be attached to the name change affidavit.

3. Can I submit photocopies of the affidavit or the related documents?
The affidavit must be an original; however, the attached documents may be photo copies.