1. How do I let the court know I want to attend a formal admission ceremony?
You will receive notice from the court of the date and time of your appearance at the formal admission ceremony with the results of your examination. Otherwise contact the Attorney Services Department at either 617-557-1050 or at email@example.com.
2. When will I find out what date I am scheduled to attend the ceremony?
You will receive notice from the court of the date and time of your appearance at the formal admission ceremony with the results of your examination.
3. What if I have not received notification of my ceremony?
Contact the Attorney Services Department at either 617-557-1050 or at firstname.lastname@example.org stating that you did not receive your notification.
4. What if I absolutely cannot attend on the date that I have been scheduled for?
You will be mailed the alternate admission information and materials.
5. What if I need to invite more than four (4) guests?
Because of the existing fire laws as well as the limited seating capacity of the Hall, it is extremely difficult to know if there is extra seating. Contact Attorney Services Department at either 617-557-1050 or at email@example.com for more information.
6. What if I can not attend the ceremony?
You must either fax or email your appearance notice as soon as possible. You will be sent the materials for the alternate admission procedure within six to eight weeks of the formal admission ceremony.
7. What if my name has changed since I filed my bar application?
If you have changed your name after filing your bar application, you need to submit an affidavit of name change with supporting documents to the Clerk's office before the ceremony so that your new name is on your license.
8. Can I have someone present me with my license?
Yes. Clerk Maura Doyle will give instructions at the ceremony.
9. What is the proper attire?
The ceremony is a court session.You should wear the appropriate attire for a court session.
10. How long does the ceremony last?
The ceremony lasts approximately 2 to 3 hours.
11. Is photography allowed?
12. Where is historic Fanueil Hall where the ceremony takes place?
Faneuil Hall is located at 1 Faneuil Hall Square, Boston, MA 02109 behind Boston City Hall.
13. Is the Hall handicap accessible?
Yes. There is an elevator located on the ground level at the left side of the building.
14. When can I begin to practice as an attorney?
You may begin to practice as a Massachusetts attorney, after you take your Attorney's Oath and sign the Roll of Attorneys.
15. When do I get my Bar Registration Number?
After you have been admitted, this office will forward your name, address and date of admission to the Board of Bar overseers. The Board of Bar Overseers will forward the registration materials to you.
You must register within 90 days of your admission. While you await receipt of your Bar Registration number or your bar card, it is advised that you use "pending" in lieu of the number.