Housing Court Standing Order 1-01
September 10, 2001
A Lawyer for a Day Program ( LDP ) is a program in which attorneys, acting pro bono, provide limited legal advice to pro se litigants in the Housing Court on a first-come, first-served basis. It is hereby ordered that LDP programs shall be permitted in any Housing Court under the following guidelines:
- The LDP shall be sponsored and administered by a state or local bar association or legal services organization, in conjunction with the Housing Court.
- The LDP shall provide advice to all pro se litigants in the Housing Court, tenant or landlord, on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Attorneys participating in the LDP shall follow all applicable guidelines and provisions of the Massachusetts Rules of Professional Conduct.
- No attorney providing advice to a pro se litigant as part of the LDP shall, by reason of providing that advice, be required to enter an appearance in any action in the Housing Court.
- Attorneys participating in the LDP shall be permitted to assist or represent pro se litigants in mediation in connection with an action in the Housing Court. No attorney assisting or representing a pro se litigant in such mediation as part of the LDP shall, by reason of such assistance or representation, be required to enter an appearance in any action in the Housing Court. If the LDP attorney assisting or representing a pro se litigant in mediation does not enter an appearance in that litigant's action, the LDP attorney may assist the litigant in preparing a Motion for Continuance of Trial. Such a motion shall be allowed if good cause is shown. If the LDP attorney assisting or representing a pro se litigant in mediation does enter an appearance in that litigant's action, the litigant shall be entitled to a two (2) week continuance of trial.
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.