The Superior Court has made changes to Standing Order 1-88 on Time Standards for civil actions filed in the Superior Court, and has rescinded Superior Court Standing Order 1-15 (Participation in Jury Voir Dire by Attorneys and Self-Represented Parties) and Standing Order 2-15 (“Exceptions to Notice Requirement of Trial Court Rule VIII). Below is a summary of the changes, which become effective on September 1, 2017.
A. Fifth Amended Standing Order 1-88 . The following changes have been made to Standing order 1-88:
1. Updated the title from “Fourth Amended” to “Fifth Amended.”
2. Added a new section I, which provides for final trial conferences.
3. Replaced Appendix B with a new form, “Notice to Appear for Final Pre-trial Conference.” The new notice reflects changes in practice that resulted from new Superior Court Rule 20, regarding case-specific management, and Superior Court Rule 30B, regarding expert disclosures. Those rules were adopted and took effect on January 1, 2017.
4. Updated the schedule of case types to conform the list to changes necessitated by the conversion to MassCourts, which occurred in the Superior Court by county between June of 2014 and September of 2015.
B. Rescission of Superior Court Standing Orders 1-15 and 2-15 . The two standing orders have been superceded by two new Superior Court Rules that were approved by the Supreme Judicial Court on July 26, 2017, effective September 1, 2017.
1. Superior Court Standing Order 1-15, “Participation in Jury Voir Dire by Attorneys and Self-Represented Parties,” is superseded by Superior Court Rule 6, “Jury Selection.”
2. Standing Order 2-15, “Exceptions to Notice Requirement of Trial Court Rule VIII,” is superseded by Superior Court Rule 18, “Impoundment and Personal Identifying Information.”