Court Relocation Committee Recommends Temporary Relocations and Consolidations
The Court Relocation Committee met with Chief Justice for Administration & Management Robert Mulligan on July 1st to review and discuss the first phase of its work. The facilities currently proposed for temporary relocation or consolidation are listed below.
The CJAM stressed that this is the beginning of a process. The Committee will meet this week to further discuss the proposed sites and to identify a process for public input on the recommendations.
The FY11 budget signed by Governor Patrick leaves the Trial Court with a shortfall in excess of $21 million. This significant reduction requires that relocation efforts move forward more quickly than originally planned. As with prior relocations, the proposed court relocations or consolidations will not cause layoffs at those locations. Any layoffs required by budget cuts will be determined by a separate process.
The criteria established by the Committee to identify potential sites for relocation and consolidation include lease terms and expenses, personnel impact and staffing levels, the condition of facilities, building functions, and geography and transportation issues.
Court Relocation Committee Recommendations
· Continue to relocate departments to other facilities, including John Adams Courthouse
· Berkshire Juvenile Court / North Adams
· Southeast Housing Court / New Bedford will co-locate with other courts
[New Taunton Courthouse opening in 2011 may allow better configuration of operations for several court departments in Bristol County]
· Gloucester District Court
· Northampton Superior Court ceremonial courtroom & storage space; Housing Court ancillary space
· Appeals Court administrative office space in Springfield
· Land Court to Suffolk County Courthouse / 3 Pemberton Square
· Framingham Juvenile Court to Marlborough District Court
· Norfolk Superior Court Probation and Norfolk County Law Library to Registry of Deeds building
· Norfolk Juvenile Court / Dedham to Stoughton District Court
· Hingham District Court
· Wareham District Court
· Charlestown Division of the Boston Municipal Court
· Leominster District Court
· Westborough District Court
The Court Relocation Committee or another Task Force appointed by the Chief Justice for Administration & Management should explore the feasibility of consolidations across county lines.
Return to the