I am a home health aide/care for disabled people in their homes. Can I be disqualified?
No. Only those who are the sole caregivers for a member of their own household are eligible to be disqualified as caregivers. If you work outside your own home, in any capacity, you are eligible for jury service.

I care for my disabled child/parent in my home. Am I disqualified?
If you feel you are disqualified from juror service due to your own medical condition, or you are the sole caregiver for a medically disabled person in your household, you must submit a letter from a registered physician or Christian Science Practitioner in support of your request for disqualification.

In order to be disqualified as a sole caregiver, you must meet the following conditions:

  1. You are solely responsible for the daily care of a permanently disabled person living in the same household.
  2. You are not regularly employed outside of your home.
  3. You are not employed as a professional caregiver, nor are you seeking the disqualification due to your care of children or others who are not permanently disabled.

To request a “sole caregiver” disqualification, you or the disabled person’s practitioner should submit a letter on the practitioner’s letterhead containing the following information:

  1. Your name and badge number
  2. The name, address and age of the disabled person.
  3. The nature of the daily care you provide.
  4. The practitioner’s opinion that your performance of juror service would cause a substantial risk of injury to the health of the disabled person.

The letter can be faxed to 1-617-422-5869, or mailed to Office of Jury Commissioner, 560 Harrison Avenue, Boston, Massachusetts 02118. Tell your practitioner to include your badge number on the letter.