I’'m a student in Massachusetts, but I'm from another state. What do I do when summoned for jury duty?
Under the law, those who live in Massachusetts for at least 50% of the year (like most students) are eligible for jury duty, regardless of their state of residence. People who live in the state for that long a period of time are considered to be part of the community, and must be included in the jury pool to ensure a representative “jury of one’s peers.” If your date is inconvenient because it conflicts with your class schedule, you may reschedule to another date of your choosing, provided it is within one year of your original service date.

I live in Massachusetts, but go to school in another state. What do I do when summoned for jury duty?
You are still required to serve unless you will not return to Massachusetts for at least an entire year (for example, if you are performing a medical internship and will not visit Massachusetts during that entire time). You may postpone your service to another date (no longer than twelve months) when you will be in Massachusetts, such as during the summer months, school vacations, visits home, and the like.

I live in one county in Massachusetts, but go to school in another county. What do I do when summoned for jury duty?
You are eligible to serve in either county, so you should serve in the county in which you are summoned. If you are summoned in both your home and school counties, you should contact the Office of Jury Commissioner at 1-800-THE-JURY (1-800-843-5879) for assistance

My minor child received a summons for jury duty. Why did this happen, and what should I do?
When a summons is sent to a person who is under the age of 18, it is almost always because the city or town submitted the child’s name to the OJC without a date of birth, or with an incorrect date of birth. (Many towns insert “January 1” and a decade year – 1960, 1980 – if they do not have a date of birth on file.) Names without a date of birth will be included on the Master Juror List so no one is deprived of their right to participate in the jury system.

You should contact the Office of Jury Commissioner in writing with your child’s date of birth, so the OJC can disqualify the child. You should also contact your Town Hall with your child’s date of birth, because if the town submits the same information next year, your child may be summoned again. The OJC makes new lists each year using the information submitted by the cities and towns, which is the most current possible data. If the town’s records are not updated, they will again report your child with no birth date, or an inaccurate birth date, and the OJC computer system will treat that submission as a different person from the person whose birth date was updated in a prior year.

Recommended Content

People also viewed...

You recently viewed...

Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.

Learn more on our .

*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.