Request for a Hardship Transfer
How to request a hardship transfer.
- In special circumstances, trial jurors can request a change in court location (a "hardship transfer"). Grand jurors cannot change court locations , since the grand jury meets in only one location in each county.
- Hardship transfers are granted only in very limited circumstances, in order to preserve the randomness of the sample of eligible jurors summoned to appear at each court.
- Inconvenience and time or distance to the courthouse are not, in themselves, eligible hardships. Most jurors experience some level of inconvenience in meeting their service obligation, although the Trial Court and the Office of Jury Commissioner attempt to minimize that inconvenience whenever possible.
- If you are eligible for a change in court location, you may be required to appear on a different date from the original date on your summons, depending on the needs of the court (for example, if you are originally summoned to appear at Court X on a Friday and you transfer to Court Y, your date will be changed if Court Y does not use jurors on Fridays).
- You can only transfer to courts that are listed on the drop-down menu under “Location” — if the court you want isn’t listed, it is not available. It may be in a different county, or it may already have a full schedule of jurors.
- After you complete and sign your entire response, your transfer request will be submitted with the rest of your response for review at the OJC.
- You will receive a written response to your request within 10 business days.
- If you provide an e-mail address with your response, you will also receive an electronic response within 2 business days. When you provide your e-mail address, you can also elect to receive most OJC communications electronically, and eliminate all but a few mailed notices.
- If your request for a change of court location is approved, you will receive a map and directions to your new location in the mail ONLY IF your service date is more than 3 weeks from the date of the approval.
- If your service date is less than 3 weeks from the date of the approval, you can get directions and information about your new location at the Juror Courthouse Information section of this website.