If the date for which you are summoned for jury service is not convenient for you, you can postpone your service to a date of your choosing.
- Everyone is entitled to postpone their date of service to any available business day within twelve months of their original service date, for any reason. Grand jurors, however, have a more limited range of postponement options – see Deferment for more information.
Different Ways to Postpone:
- Pick your own date and get instant confirmation online at juryduty.MAjury.gov - the Massachusetts Juror Service website (see below);
- The OJC Call Center can also assist you at 1-800-THE-JURY (1-800-843-5879); or
- You can request a date and await a response by mail by completing Section E of the Juror Confirmation Form, attached to your summons (for information on completing the Juror Confirmation Form, please click here ).
- The OJC strongly recommends that you pick a date no more than 11 months from your originally scheduled date, in case you require an additional postponement prior to your deadline.
- You cannot postpone your service for more than 12 months beyond your originally scheduled date.
How to postpone your service.
- The website includes an interactive calendar that will give you a choice of all available dates, up to a year from your scheduled date.
- You are entitled to postpone your service for up to a full year from your originally scheduled service date. However, the Office of Jury Commissioner strongly recommends that you pick a date no more than 11 months from your scheduled date, in case you require an additional postponement prior to your deadline.
- You cannot postpone for more than 12 months beyond your originally scheduled date.
- What you will see onscreen:
- Your currently scheduled date will appear at the top of the page.
- Available dates appear in white on the calendar.
- Gray dates with an X are not available, either because the court does not use jurors on those days or the jury pool is already full on those dates.
- Sometimes, the calendar will not display any available dates. This means that none of the dates in your service period is available, perhaps because that court does not require many jurors. E-mail or call the OJC for assistance if there are no available dates.
- If you need further help with a postponement, you can e-mail your request to firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 1-800-THE-JURY (1-800-843-5879), Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.)
- If the date you want is available on the interactive calendar, you will be automatically approved after submitting your entire response. You do not have to wait for a confirmation from the OJC — your date will be rescheduled immediately.
- It may take up to 24 hours for the new date to display on the website. Even so, your service date is changed as soon as you sign and submit your response. So if an emergency arises and you must change your date on the day before your service (or even the morning of your service), you can rest assured that your date has been rescheduled even though the original date still appears on the website for up to 24 hours after your submit your response.
- If you must call the OJC after changing your date, please be sure to tell the Call Center that you have submitted a postponement — if the Call Center makes the same change, you may get an error message on the website.
- Accessible Calendar. For those who require an accessible calendar, there is a link on the Scheduling Your Service page.
- You can review all available dates using the "Next Dates" and "Previous Dates" buttons below the list of dates.
- Select the date of your choice by choosing the button next to that date, followed by the "Next Page" button.