FITCHBURG DISTRICT COURT DESIGNATED AS
GELINAS COURTHOUSE HONORING JUDICIAL LEGACY
Leaders of the Judiciary and City of Fitchburg participated today in a ceremony to designate the Fitchburg District Court as the Gelinas Courthouse. The honor recognizes the many contributions of the late Honorable A. Andre Gelinas and the Honorable Andre A. Gelinas to the judiciary, the bar and civic affairs of Fitchburg for more than 85 years.
Judge Andre A. Gelinas served on the Massachusetts Appeals Court from 1999 to 2008 after serving as a judge on the District Court since 1979. He now serves as the Special Advisor to the Chief Justice for Administration & Management for Information Technology. His late father, Honorable A. Andre Gelinas, was appointed in 1931 as a Special Justice of the Fitchburg District Court and later served as Assistant District Attorney and District Attorney in Worcester County. In 1924, he founded the law firm Gelinas & Ward, which is the oldest continuously operating firm in the North County.
U.S. Magistrate Judge Timothy S. Hillman served as master of ceremonies. Speakers included Supreme Judicial Court Justice Judith A. Cowin, Appeals Court Chief Justice Phillip Rapoza, Chief Justice for Administration & Management Robert A. Mulligan, and District Court Chief Justice Lynda M. Connolly. Fitchburg Mayor Lisa A. Wong, Representative Stephen L. DiNatale, Senator Jennifer L. Flanagan, former Senator Robert Antonioni, and former Worcester County Assistant District Attorney Warren C. Lane also delivered remarks.
Reverend Martin P. Donahue, former pastor of St. Christopher’s Parish in Worcester, delivered the invocation and benediction. Fitchburg Boy Scout Troop #17 of the Nashua Valley Council led the Pledge of Allegiance, and music was provided by the Greater Gardner Chamber Choir. The Massachusetts Trial Court Honor Guard also participated in the event.