Before starting the Ethics Exam, please read the following explanation and directions carefully.
Code of Professional Conduct for Court Interpreters
Some of the questions are preceded by quotes from the corresponding subsection of Section 4:00 of the Standards & Procedures of the Office of Court Interpreter Services, which contains the Code of Professional Conduct for Court Interpreters of the Trial Court (Code of Conduct). You should have the full Code in hand for reference as you go through each question.
* The Exam is comprised of 20 questions, including Multiple Choice and True or False exercises.
* Some of the multiple-choice questions ask that you select one correct answer from all the options provided.
* Some of the multiple-choice questions ask that you select more than one correct answer from all the options provided.
* The True or False questions ask that you indicate T or F for option provided with each question.
Answer Sheet: Word and PDF Versions
* You will indicate your selections on the Answer Sheet .
* You can print the Answer Sheet and indicate your selections manually, or you can download it as a Word file and type in your selections.
* Each question includes specific directions to answer it. Please, read the question carefully and follow directions to provide your answers on the Answer Sheet. You will indicate your selection by writing/typing an "X" next to the letter whenever it applies, or by writing "T" or "F" (for "true" or "false") by each letter whenever it applies.
Submitting the Answer Sheet
When you have finished writing/typing your responses for the whole exam on the Answer Sheet, please download/print out the Answer Sheet and submit only the Answer Sheet to OCIS by the deadline indicated.
Before you submit your Answer Sheet, please make sure:
- That your name appears on the Answer Sheet, as well as the date you submitted it to OCIS.
- That you responded to all 20 questions.
Submit your completed Answer Sheet to OCIS by fax, mail or e-mail:
Please write "Ethics Exam" on the Subject Line
Mail: Office of Court Interpreter Services,
2 Center Plaza, 9th Floor
Boston, MA 02108
Attention: Ethics Exam
Sample Question: Multiple Choice
1.Choose the ONE statement from among the following three that does NOT fully reflect the standards for accuracy as set forth in the Code of Professional Conduct. Indicate your selection with an "X" next to the letter on the Answer Sheet.
(a) Court interpreters shall faithfully and accurately interpret to the best of their skill and ability, in a clear, firm voice that conveys the inflections, tone and emotions of the speaker.
(b) Court interpreters shall faithfully and accurately interpret what is said, preserving the level of the speaker and without embellishing, omitting, editing, toning down or improving any statements.
(c) When the interpreter believes the non-English speaker cannot understand the speaker's language level, every effort will be made by the interpreter to ensure the non-English speaker's ability to understand, including simplifying the style or tone of the original message.
Sample Question: True or False
2. Based on Section 4:06 of the Code of Conduct indicate for each one of the following 4 statements if it is True (T) or False (F). Indicate your selection on the Answer Sheet.
(a) Court interpreters shall not take advantage of knowledge obtained in the performance of their duties for their own gain, but can apply it to the benefit of third parties.
(b) Court interpreters shall uphold and protect the confidentiality of all privileged and other confidential information, but when that information is not privileged or required by law to be confidential, they can publicly discuss it.
(c) Court interpreters may never, under any circumstance, share information or knowledge obtained in the performance of their duties.
(d) Unless ordered by a Judge, court interpreters must never reveal privileged or confidential information for any purpose, including training and education.