• If the police witness or have probable cause to believe that the defendant violated a restraining order, the police are required to arrest the defendant.
  • A restraining order is a civil order but violation of certain parts of the order is a criminal offense. If the defendant violates the no abuse, no contact, leave the home, stay away from home/work or surrender firearms terms of the order, you should contact the local police department immediately and tell them that you have a restraining order and what happened.
  • Failure to pay money owed. If the defendant does not pay support, child support or any money damages ordered, you will need to go back to the court that issued the order and ask for a hearing to see if the defendant should be held in contempt of court.

Recommended Content

People also viewed...

You recently viewed...

Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.

Learn more on our .

*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.