The party who filed a small claims action (called the plaintiff) has no right of appeal from a decision.  By filing the case as a small claims case, the plaintiff has waived the right to appeal the decision.  A defendant may file an appeal in a small claims action from a clerk magistrate's decision in the District or Municipal Court, by filing a claim for appeal to the jury session within 10 days of the magistrate's decision.  Because not all District Courts have jury sessions, check with the clerk's office for guidance on how to file such an appeal.  There is no further right to appeal from the jury session of the District or Municipal Court.  If the small claims case began in the Housing Court and was heard by a judge or jury there, a defendant has a right to appeal to the Massachusetts Appeals Court.

Recommended Content

People also viewed...

You recently viewed...

Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.

Learn more on our .

*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.