We are here to help you in any way that we can. However, we are allowed to help you only in certain ways, since we must be fair to everyone involved in your case.
Many court matters involve complex and valuable legal rights. You should always speak with an attorney before filing any papers. Please see Find a Lawyer in Massachusetts for information on local lawyer referral services and legal aid agencies.
Here is a list of some of the things the court staff can and cannot do for you. Please read carefully before asking for help.
- Give you a list of lawyer referral services and legal service agencies.
- Provide you with a list of law libraries which are open to the public.
- Explain and answer questions about how the court works.
- Tell you what the requirements are to have your case considered by the court.
- Answer questions about the meaning of terms used in the court process.
- Give you some information from your case file.
- Provide you with court forms to begin a case.
- Provide you with basic direction on how to fill out the forms.
- Check forms for completeness.
- Usually answer questions about court deadlines, rules, procedures and practices.
- Tell you how to get a case scheduled.
- Recommend a lawyer or give you legal advice. Only a lawyer can give you legal advice.
- Provide legal research.
- Tell you what words to put on forms.
- Tell you whether or not you should bring your case to court.
- Tell you what to say in court.
- Give you an opinion about what will happen if you bring your case to court.
- Give you any information that we would not give to the other person in your case.
- Talk to the judge for you about what might happen in your case.
- Tell you a judge's decision until it is issued by the judge.
- Let you talk to the judge outside of court.
- Change a judge's order.
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.