If your case is scheduled for a court date, but you find you need additional time to discuss your case with your attorney, or to bring enough money for costs and fines, or to bring witnesses to the court on your behalf, you may ask for a continuance. (In other words, you may ask the court to delay your court date to another day). A request should be made before the scheduled court date by contacting the clerk's office. A request made on the day of the event is less likely to be allowed, but a reasonable request for a continuance even on the trial date may be possible, but cannot be guaranteed.