A law enforcement/police officer may take a child into custodial protection if the officer has reason to believe that the child is a runaway and is unlikely to respond to a summons to appear in court. The officer will first try to bring the child home, to a7 shelter, or to the Department of Children and Families before the child is brought to court. 

When your child is brought to court, you will be contacted. It is important that you make every effort to come to court as soon as possible. The court does not have the authority to prevent your child from leaving court other than to tell your child to wait for you or for his or her case to go before a judge. If your child does not have a Child Requiring Assistance case your child will be released to you.