You can file for custody in the Probate and Family Court in the appropriate county. Your child must have lived in Massachusetts for at least six months immediately before you file for custody. This is called the “home state rule.” There may be exceptions to the “home state rule” when the child has lived in a different state with one parent. You should talk to a lawyer if you have questions about whether Massachusetts is the right state to file your case.

If you are filing for custody through a divorce: If you or your spouse lives in the county where you lived together, you file for divorce at the Probate and Family Court in that county. Otherwise, you can file in the county where you or your spouse live now.

For all other cases you must file in the county where the child lives.

See Where do I file? to find the court for your county.

Recommended Content

People also viewed...

You recently viewed...

Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.

Learn more on our .

*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.