If you file an uncontested divorce, then you and your spouse decide how to split things up when you write your separation agreement, and the court will review the separation agreement and make sure it is fair. If you can’t decide together how to divide your things, then the court will use a standard called “equitable division.” This does not mean that your things have to be divided exactly in half, but it does mean that the decision has to be fair.