After you have filed, you need to let your spouse know that you have filed. To do this, you have to arrange for them to be served with a copy of the complaint that you filed, “notice” and a  “domestic relations summons”. These are papers that tell your spouse what has happened and what will happen next.  The court will give you the notice and summons when you file your papers, but you need to arrange to have the papers “served.” See Service of Process of Domestic Relations Complaints in Probate and Family Court for more information.

The judge will read through your papers and make a decision. She may ask you questions in court. The judge will look at your income, your spouse’s income, the number of people you are supporting, and what expenses you have. She will use the Child Support Guidelines to help reach her decision. The judge can order support for you or your child, as well as medical support for you or your child. The judge can also order the transfer or sale of a house you or your spouse owns.