You can file for separate support if you are married and your spouse has failed to support you, has deserted you, you and your spouse are living apart for “justifiable cause”, or you and your spouse have “justifiable cause” to live apart, but are still living together. “Justifiable cause” includes things like abuse, adultery and desertion.