Either or both parents may seek sole or shared custody in Massachusetts. If the parents are unmarried, the father must first establish paternity (legal fatherhood) before seeking custody of his child. A judge may establish paternity if one parent files for paternity in court, or if both parents sign and file what is called a “voluntary acknowledgement form.” A voluntary acknowledgment form may have been signed by the father when the child was born.