The Petition is to be filed in the county in which:
- the Respondent (the person you believe to be incapacitated) lives when the Petition is filed, OR
- a will nominating the guardian was or could be probated, OR
- an incapacitated person is admitted to a facility pursuant to a Court order.
You can find the right court by town name by going to Where do I file?
There are no filing fees for guardianship petitions.
There may however be a cost for service of process, and there is a fee of $20 for each certified copy of Letters of Appointment.
Guardianship of Incapacitated Persons
- Guardianship of Incapacitated Persons
- Who is Considered an Incapacitated Person?
- Who May Become a Guardian of an Incapacitated Person?
- What Does a Guardian of an Incapacitated Person Do?
- Where Do I File for Guardianship of an Incapacitated Person and What is the Fee?
- What Forms Do I File for Guardianship of an Incapacitated Person?
- Requesting Temporary Guardianship of an Incapacitated Person
- Permanent Guardianship of an Incapacitated Person
- Reporting On, Changing or Ending Guardianship of an Incapacitated Person
- Getting Help with Filing for Guardianship
- More Information on Guardianship of Incapacitated Persons
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.