In Massachusetts, a guardian must be appointed by the Probate and Family Court.

Anyone interested in the Respondent's welfare may file a Petition for Guardianship.

You do not become guardian automatically just because you are the parent of an incapacitated adult child.

The Court shall not appoint as guardian any person who is currently being investigated or who has charges pending for committing an assault and battery that resulted in serious bodily injury to the Respondent, or, for neglect of the Respondent.

The person asking to become the guardian is called the Petitioner.

Recommended Content

People also viewed...

You recently viewed...

Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.

Learn more on our .

*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.