You file in the Probate and Family Court in the county where the child lives, unless there is already an ongoing case involving the child in a Juvenile Court or District Court. To find the right court for your town, see Where do I file? .

If there is an ongoing case in a Juvenile Court or a District Court, you file your petition in that court.