Generally, a civil lawsuit will not proceed in court unless a person knows s/he is being sued, knows what the lawsuit is about, and is given the chance to present his/her side to the court. If a plaintiff does not complete service of process according to the rules for each defendant, then each defendant who is not served may ask the court to dismiss the lawsuit, or the court on its own may dismiss the lawsuit.
Service of Process in the Boston Municipal Court or District Court
- Service of Process in the Boston Municipal Court or District Court
- What is Service of Process?
- Why Do I Have to Complete Service of Process?
- When Do I Have to Complete Service of Process?
- How Do I Complete Service of Process?
- What If I Do Not Know Where the Defendant Lives?
- What If the Defendant Does Not Live or Work in Massachusetts?
- What Does it Mean if the Defendant is Willing to Accept Service?