If you are getting divorced, there is a box on the divorce petition that you can check to resume your former name or a former married name.  If you are not sure you want to resume a former name when you file for divorce, you can file a motion to change your name before the conclusion of your divorce case.  You cannot obtain a new name or change a child’s name through this procedure.


If you are an adult and have already undergone the naturalization process, you need to file a name change petition with the Probate and Family Court and follow the steps in Changing Your Own Name as an Adult .  Birth certificates that are not written in English must include a translated copy signed by a professional interpreter.  If you are an immigrant planning to become naturalized, you can change your name as part of the naturalization process.  The procedure is based on federal law, and therefore it is different.

Recommended Content

People also viewed...

You recently viewed...

Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.

Learn more on our .

*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.