G.L. c.21A, s.10G-10H

Fine or Other Penalty

As an alternative to criminal proceedings, an officer may give you a non-criminal citation with notice to appear before a clerk-magistrate of the District Court or Boston Municipal Court within 21 days.  Fines vary based on the violation cited (see statute for details).


Within 21 days, either appear before the court clerk, “confess the offense” and pay the fine, or pay the fine by mail.

What happens if I don’t pay?

The clerk will notify the officer concerned, who will make an application for a criminal complaint. If the court clerk grants the application for a criminal complaint after hearing, a complaint and summons for you to appear in court will issue.  If you fail to respond to the summons, the clerk will mail you notice that an arrest warrant will issue in 21 days.