To our Trial Court Colleagues,
We are pleased to send our first monthly update from the Strategy Leadership Team (SLT). As you may know, the SLT was formed recently to oversee implementation of the new Trial Court Strategic Plan. Chief Justice Carey and Court Administrator Spence jointly lead our team and the full membership is listed below. After each monthly team meeting, we will communicate with you regarding the progress of Plan implementation.
The first phase of the strategic plan implementation, the Launch Phase, represents an ambitious step forward in Court modernization. As you may have have seen in the strategic plan issued in late June, there are about 50 tactics to implement by the end of the year. We need to make that progress while taking care of our regular business. But, in fact, improving our operations is an important part of our regular business and much work is already underway.
The SLT has started working with the "owners" of each tactic to monitor progress. We are very pleased with both the quantity and the quality of improvements happening across the Trial Court.
Some updates we are happy to share with you from the July 24th meeting:
More than 1,000 additional court employees now have e-mail addresses, so that almost all employees now have e-mail so they can stay informed about court activity.
- Contact lists for Human Resources and Fiscal are now available on the Intranet, to help you identify whom to contact to address an issue.
- An online request form is now in use for maintenance requests to Facilities Management. A similar request process will be in place by the end of the summer for furniture and equipment needs. The requests go to a central location, enter a tracking system, and an update is provided on the status of the request.
- A Court Innovation Center is being developed to encourage employees to directly propose local innovation ideas that support the strategic plan.
- A Steering Group and department-level committees have been formed to develop Staffing Model 2.0, which will include all departments, Probation, Facilities and Security.
- Building a new judicial branch external website to be located on the mass.gov site is underway with a "go live" targeted for year end.
- An electronic application for criminal complaints is being piloted in the South Boston division of the Boston Municipal Court – with an expectation that before long most police departments across the state will file complaints electronically.
- Targeted furniture and equipment upgrades have begun in the ten courthouses with the greatest needs.
- Local court leaders now are planning meetings with their court staff by mid- September to review and discuss the strategic plan and how we can participate and benefit from modernization. These meetings will take place at each court during the next two months.
And these are just a sub-set of developments happening in July, when things are typically slow!
At our August meeting we will more closely review specialty courts, facility cleanliness standards, case flow optimization, court service centers, and the capital plan.
Please contact any SLT member with suggestions or questions.
The Trial Court Strategy Leadership Team
Strategy Leadership Team Members
Hon. Paula Carey, Chief Justice of the Trial Court
Harry Spence, Court Administrator
Paul Burke, Deputy Court Administrator, Housing Court
Craig Burlingame, Chief Information Officer
Hon. Terry Craven, First Justice, Suffolk County Juvenile Court
Mark Conlon, Director of Human Resources
Edward Dolan, Commissioner of Probation
Hon. Michael Edgerton, Chief Justice of the Juvenile Court
Hon. Judith Fabricant, Associate Justice, Superior Court
Hon. Dina Fein, First Justice, Western Division Housing Court
Chris Fox, Associate Court Administrator
John Gay, Clerk-Magistrate, Springfield District Court
Daniel Hogan, Clerk-Magistrate, BMC Central Division
Tara DeCristofaro Melo, Register, Middlesex County
Richard O’Neil, Probation Supervisor, Probate and Family Court
Mary Rafferty, Senior Assistant for Administration & Communications (staff)
Cynthia Robinson Markey, Legal Counsel, BMC
Michael Sullivan, Superior Court Clerk of Courts, Middlesex County
Hon. Maureen Walsh, First Justice, Holyoke District Court
Kim Wright, Senior Assistant for Judicial Policy
Jill Ziter, Deputy Court Administrator, Land Court